Flogging.

He's fighting you. Don't let children near him. My big "Elvis" does it anytime he sees red inthe coop. Doesn't matter if you're wearing it or carrying it. Elvis can leave bruises on me! His spurs ar not long and sharp but his wings are strong and surprisingly hard. See what your rooster's trigger is. Like mine, if I just don't wear red - I'm safe.
Denise
Paradise Found - Mosquito Heaven

The rooster attacks you with his nails and spurs. They can draw blood or take out a child's eye. The rooster treats you like another unwanted rooster, and wants to dominate you.

My rooster has never tried it, but I wanted to know what I was looking for. If the rooster tries to hurt anyone in my house, especially the kids, he's going in the crock pot. I have three little kids and two of them are not only completely unafraid, but they can get into or onto anything. I have pulled the baby out of the coop more than once. I am getting much tougher about it though because he should not be playing in there. The rooster has never really shown any sign of human aggression, but he has started trying to mate my pullets and I know that puberty starts the time when you have to worry about it.

Had a welsummers roo flog my 11 yr old DD. She turned to walk out the coop & didn't see it coming. Happened very quick She was scared of him for a long time. After that she wears blue jeans when in the coop & always had someone go in the coop with her for a few months. Not sure what got into him that day. Now she picks him up & pets on him each day. If the roo continued to flog he would be re-homed to the freezer. Fingers crossed he has been on his best behavior since then.

You can attempt this to resolve the problem:
Pick him up and tuck him under your arm like a football. Carry him for a long time while you do you chicken chores one handed. Do this in front of the flock. Put him down in front of the flock. If he gives you a dirty look, pick him up again and continue for a 10 to 15 minutes more. Put him down, Repeat as nesc. until he walks away from you in submission. Do this every day.
BUT!!!
You can never totally trust him again. So keep children safe.
Denise
Paradise Found - Home of Elvis - King Roo - Subordinate to ME! Most of the time
hide.gif

Last edited:
I used to have a barred rock roo and one day it was hot out
and he flogged me in my neck when i had my shirt off. WARNING::: the worst roosters to flogg you are Barred Rock and White Leghorn.
Iv'e learned from experiences.

Back
Top Bottom