Flooding Run ???

Crafty-Duck

Songster
7 Years
May 27, 2012
Lucky Duck Pond
It's been raining buckets here
rant.gif
My chicken run is soggy and wet with puddles, how do you all keep your run from getting soggy and gross???

Is the run covered? If not, even a tarp can do wonders. I use horse wood pellets in my runs but if they were muddy and times were tight I would use leaves.

I had leaves down and it did nothing!!! the run is covered and I had a tarp covering! it just rained that much
sad.png
I may just try the pine branches.Thanks!!!

I have to agree with sand as a potential solution. We had a lot of trouble with a muddy run until we put sand in. Then, problem solved. We actually shoveled out a lot of the dirt in the run (beautiful, rich soil for the garden) and then put about 3 to 4 inches of sand in. It worked wonders and now the run only gets damp, no puddles, even where it's not covered. Our run is about 9 x 16 feet and only needed about 2 yards of sand total. And since sand is only about 12.00 a yard here, it was a cheap and relatively easy solution.
Good luck.

Last edited:
If money is not a factor I would scrape off the top layer of organic matter and put down drainage rock followed by wooden horse pellets. I would also install perimeter drains around the outside of the run and coop and ensuring a positive ground slope. I live on the rainy west coast and deal with lots and lots of rain.

Back
Top Bottom