Floor or no Floor

curtuckman

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 1, 2013
Hello all,
I am a newbie when it comes to raising chickens and would like some opinions on putting a chicken wire floor in the run of a tractor to keep out predators. I am in process of building my tractor and I put chicken wire on the floor of the run and my wife thinks it is a bad idea.

thanks in advance!

If you are doing it for predators do not use chicken wire.That will never stop a predator.Only keeps the chickens in place.

Go for stronger small mesh metal fencing.Need the strength to stop a predator,and small mesh to keep them from pulling a head through the mesh to eat.

Also keep in mind that a predator can possibly pull the fencing off when you use staples or nails.Predators are strong.They twist,chew,and really work hard at getting their free meal.

Never underestimate the desire of a hungry carnivore! I use 1/2 inch hardware cloth. The chickens can still scratch and dig, but other critters cannot get in.

Never underestimate the desire of a hungry carnivore! I use 1/2 inch hardware cloth. The chickens can still scratch and dig, but other critters cannot get in.

How does a chicken scratch and dig through 1/2" hardware cloth - you are using it to prevent predators from digging their way in. I cannot fathom how a chicken would be able to dig. And the cloth on thier toes will make them stop scratching.

I must not have properly understood what you ment.

My husband built me a really nice chicken tractor that did not have wire underneath the full length of it and our neighbor's dog dug underneath and killed everything I had in it. I now only use the tractor during the daytime. It had 1/2" heavy-duty welded mesh (what we call rat wire) under the back half (which was where the dog dug in) and the dog just ripped the mesh right off of the frame, pulling out the poultry staples and all. Unless your tractor has a fully-enclosed end with a wood floor and a door to separate it from the run section, it is not predator proof.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom