floor question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Amp, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Amp

Amp Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Alabama
    I used untreated 2x4's to frame my floor and my Dad said I should have used treated. Do I need to seal them? I am using untreated for everything except the 4x4 posts that will be at the ground. Also, I have a piece of linoleum to put down and was wondering if I could just lay it down without nailing or gluing since I'm using the deep litter method. Thanks.

2. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    My floor is untreated also, but my coop is 24" off the ground. I also only used treated for the legs/supports. I painted all exposed wood with a primer and exterior paint. If you paint, you'll be fine. I would secure the linoleum though. otherwise the edges will curl and the litter will find its way under the linoleum. I would also paint the floor (then put down the linoleum)as an added measure to protect the flooring for the waste.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  3. Amp

Amp Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Thanks, my floor is also 2 ft. off the ground so I should be good.

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Gluing the flooring down also keeps bugs and moisture out, especially if you cover the entire floor then set the wall on top of it

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Oh yeah, no point in using P/T for anything but the posts, for that [​IMG]

Good lcuk, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by