Floor Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by braggsrus, Apr 21, 2009.

1. braggsrus

braggsrus Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    We are setting up our first coop which is a lean-to with a dirt floor. Do you have any recommendations for any beneficial "floor dressing" (wood chips, etc.) that will help with waste / odor / whatever? Or is the dirt floor just fine? We have about 100 square feet and are planning on 12 laying hens (no rooster).

Thanks.
    BrU

2. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

We have a dirt floor in ours. You can kinda see what we did here..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=167161

I plan on doing the deep litter method with pine shavings. The results of that go into my garden for fertilizer.

I believe it breaks down faster with a dirt floor. We shall see..

Bluemoon

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, you'll want bedding on that dirt floor. Pine/softwood shavings (sold in big bales at feedstore for animal bedding) are preferred by many people including me; or there are lots of other things that can be used.

As far as how much bedding to put in and how often (and how) to clean, that's seriously a matter of personal style, you'll just have to experiment a bit and see what you can settle on that you're happy with [​IMG]

good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
    On a recommendation from geareduplyn on this forum, I have been looking at pine pellets (the kind they use for horse stalls). I will now be switching to pine pellets due to better absorbtion and odor control. Geareduplyn also indicated that the pellets are better for impaction avoidance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by