floor space per bird?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Poultry parent, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

I was wondering how much floor space per bird? (in square feet please.) They only use the coop to lay and sleep in, during the day the roam a very large garden. So they really don't spend much time in the coop.

2. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop

Generally accepted number is 4 sq.ft. per bird.

3. Poultry parent

I know, but some people say 2-3', or that it varies on breed size. I have more than enough roost space if that matters.
    They really only use the coop to sleep and lay in, so they don't spend much time there.

4. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Curious......why do you ask? It appears you already have birds who are using the coop you already have?

5. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    the minimum is 1.5 - 2 sq ft per bird.. but often time people will give 4sq ft per bird

it's true

i have 5 hens. their coop is 3'x4' they will go in to roost at night or lay their eggs during the day but that's about it

my hens are free ranging all day now-- for me it's ok. since i don't have any predator here

your area might be different

6. Poultry parent

I do have birds already in the coop, but I would like to know if my birds have enough space or if there is enough space for me to get some more birds

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    This^^^^excellent article.

The 'only roost and lay' theory can be deceptive and/or delusional.
    If you get feet of snow for months on end...
    ......or blowing and/or frigid temps for weeks on end....
    .....or a bad predator event where they need to be securely confined for days, weeks, or forever....
    That barely big enough coop could end up being a real bummer.
    Adding new chicks/birds necessitates extra space that is secure and weather tight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by