Flooring Question

Corey NC

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
North Carolina
Would a wire floor directly on the ground then covering it with shaving be an alright floor? Would it mold and be unhealthy? I am just trying to make the coop as cheap as possible without failing in quality.

Hey Corey,

I'm here in NC too. I have a dirt floor. I've got hay down over it. As you know we have only had one good rain in months but we didn't have any problems. I've got wire on the outside around the whole coop to keep predators outs out

May be a dumb question.....would they hurt their toes/nails when they scratch?? You know how they scratch and scratch.....just always wondered.
idunno.gif

Quote:
It actually composts, and mold should not be a problem.

Alot of people have wooden floors, which are fine if kept really clean so that bacteria doesn't become an issue.

I should think it would be fine. If you have a roof and walls, wetness shouldn't really be a problem. Of course, in NC right now, you could have no roof or walls at all and still be dry as a bone!

Our coop was originally an old shed that had a plain dirt floor. When we decided to put chickens in it, I raked it out really good, put down a layer of wire across the floor and stapled to the walls. Then I dumped several loads of shavings on top of that. The wire was to keep things from being able to dig in. That has worked fine for me. A couple times a year I rake out the shavings and replace them. I've never had a moisture problem. The only drawback is in a few places the wire is bulging up and catches on the rake when I try to clean the coop.

Back
Top Bottom