1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flooring Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Corey NC, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Would a wire floor directly on the ground then covering it with shaving be an alright floor? Would it mold and be unhealthy? I am just trying to make the coop as cheap as possible without failing in quality.

2. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

I would be worried about the dirt getting damp from rains (I know right now not an issue) then the shaving molding. The shaving also absorb moisture so eventually all the bedding would get wet.

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Hey Corey,

I'm here in NC too. I have a dirt floor. I've got hay down over it. As you know we have only had one good rain in months but we didn't have any problems. I've got wire on the outside around the whole coop to keep predators outs out

4. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    May be a dumb question.....would they hurt their toes/nails when they scratch?? You know how they scratch and scratch.....just always wondered.
    [​IMG]

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I'd consider going with a dirt floor and using the deep litter method.

6. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Would the DLM on a dirt floor mold? I think I might just go with a wodden floor.

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:It actually composts, and mold should not be a problem.

Alot of people have wooden floors, which are fine if kept really clean so that bacteria doesn't become an issue.

8. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    I should think it would be fine. If you have a roof and walls, wetness shouldn't really be a problem. Of course, in NC right now, you could have no roof or walls at all and still be dry as a bone!

Our coop was originally an old shed that had a plain dirt floor. When we decided to put chickens in it, I raked it out really good, put down a layer of wire across the floor and stapled to the walls. Then I dumped several loads of shavings on top of that. The wire was to keep things from being able to dig in. That has worked fine for me. A couple times a year I rake out the shavings and replace them. I've never had a moisture problem. The only drawback is in a few places the wire is bulging up and catches on the rake when I try to clean the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by