Floors in the coop?

GwenFarms

Songster
11 Years
Feb 26, 2008
Until reading on this board, i'd never heard of people putting floors in their coop. I was wondering what is the advantage to this? It seems like it would stay wet, where as a dirt floor would offer drainage. It also seems like it would be a pain to have to clean. I may be missing something for some folks though.

We have three banty coops that all have wood floors and stay dry.

The playhouse coop is sitting on a foundation of cap blocks.

The Silky coop and post brooder coop are built on frames approximately 2 feet tall.

We don't keep the waterers in the coops as the chickens don't get locked down in the coops at night and have 24/7 access to their secure runs. We have outdoor roosts for all 3 coops and they prefer to sleep outside, down into the teens, even though we provide more than sufficient indoor roosting space for all.

We use the deep litter method in all of the coops and even though the litter stays too dry to decompose (as opposed to DLM on dirt floors), there is no "chicken smell".

The hens who are old enough to lay only use the coops for that reason, and the occasional dust bathing sessions in the litter, so there's no build up of excess moisture or waste.

Hope this makes sense and is some help!

Dawn

I have dirt floors in most coops. Wood in one and concrete in another.

I prefer the dirt floors over them all. The dirt floor coops stay cooler in the summer and do not build moisture in the winter the way the other two do.

I believe a lot of people here have smaller, raised coops to keep out predators, is why they have to put a floor in.
I believe dirt is considered the ideal and its been done that way for over a hundred years.

It seems like it would stay wet, where as a dirt floor would offer drainage.

All coops have floors, yours has a dirt floor and mine has plywood and shavings
smile.png

Actually, I suspect that drainage in a dirt floor would be poor, unless it is regularly maintained. Fortunately, chicken coops don't really get wet inside, the biggest problem is excessive humidity, and ventilation deals with that.

Earth floors are traditional in coops, but these days there are probably better materials for many circumstances.​

Whatever floor you choose drainage is quite easy. We have planks over concrete and there are drains in the concrete. The planks allow cushioning and there is seepage between the boards. If you use bricks over dirt you can design a drain what keeps out predators...I'm so amazed at the variety of floors, everything from wire suspended to wire buried...there's always a way, and it's often possible to construct with reclaimed materials.

smile.png

Quote:
I love your playhouse coop, it inspires me to pretty up our coops a little
smile.png
My son is wanting to raise some bantys this year. I'm only planning on letting his start with a trio. Maybe we will build him a mini version of this.

dirt floors are all i have in my henhouse.i have 3 4 by 6 brooders thats on leggs.an they have welded wire floors.

Back
Top Bottom