Floppy chick

I recently had a chick hatch 5 weeks ago (golden laced Wyandotte/EE) that was very weak after hatching and just seemed behind. He would scoot on his but and couldn't stand and his feet looked underdeveloped, they had a fleshy look and the toes on one foot were all crossed and seemed to have no control. I have him some electrolytes and within a couple of days he was walking and running with the others. Oh, I should also mention that he was 1/2 the size of the other chicks and we name "her" Minnie...we now know that she is a "he" and is now Mickey.
That's a very hopeful story! Thanks for sharing. I hope flimsy Mimsy's will go just as well!

That's a very hopeful story! Thanks for sharing. I hope flimsy Mimsy's will go just as well!
Mickey is on the far right in the picture of 3, slow to feather but BIG personality!

Attachments

• 57718384-DACB-454A-B896-B0F54FF62B6C.jpeg
    57718384-DACB-454A-B896-B0F54FF62B6C.jpeg
    478 KB · Views: 7
  • 124AAAD1-4626-42DD-BC82-3F48CF0A4E1D.png
    124AAAD1-4626-42DD-BC82-3F48CF0A4E1D.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 5
  • F25146B5-8DBD-4997-B2E3-5565B96D6BFE.jpeg
    F25146B5-8DBD-4997-B2E3-5565B96D6BFE.jpeg
    314.3 KB · Views: 7
I recently had a chick hatch 5 weeks ago (golden laced Wyandotte/EE) that was very weak after hatching and just seemed behind. He would scoot on his but and couldn't stand and his feet looked underdeveloped, they had a fleshy look and the toes on one foot were all crossed and seemed to have no control. I have him some electrolytes and within a couple of days he was walking and running with the others. Oh, I should also mention that he was 1/2 the size of the other chicks and we name "her" Minnie...we now know that she is a "he" and is now Mickey.
Did you do anything extra with his legs or did they work themselves out? Looks similar to mine the way the legs are...
Mickey is on the far right in the picture of 3, slow to feather but BIG personality!

My husband ended up having to cull the chick.. She wasn't eating anything and since she was shuffling on the backs of her legs they were getting all raw and when I tried to bend them straight I could see she was in pain and they had pus on them and it was like I could see the bone almost looking through.
It just wasn't fair to try and keep her alive when she was clearly in pain. 😢💔

Really? There was puss on the backs of the legs of a 2 day old chick? Strange. I was stunned that anyone suggested bending her legs too, but some do weird things with their birds. Sadly, I didn't hold out much hope for this chick. Without the proper nutrition, they don't do well... 😢

Really? There was puss on the backs of the legs of a 2 day old chick? Strange. I was stunned that anyone suggested bending her legs too, but some do weird things with their birds. Sadly, I didn't hold out much hope for this chick. Without the proper nutrition, they don't do well... 😢
If you look at the leg joints they are pretty red in this picture, by this morning the skin was broken and there was some yellowish sticky stuff, I assume pus. She must have been struggling to get around and just rubbing her poor legs because they were way more sprawled out this morning. Maybe she was trying to get to the other chicks in the brooder beside her. Either way, she was in a sad state this morning and we thought that was the most humane thing to do.. It was heartbreaking and I'm sorry i had to get my husband to do it.. He is pretty distressed. We're not used to farm life and don't know how some people find it so easy to cull any animal. 💔💔

Attachments

• IMG_20210731_105729.jpg
    IMG_20210731_105729.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom