Florida Agriculture Tax Exemption with a Hobby Duck Farm?

Richb353

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 4, 2014
Howey In The Hills, Florida
Good Afternoon,
Has anyone sought/acquired an agriculture tax exemption by having a hobby duck farm? I'm told the ag exemption is a significant break off your property taxes. The reading material I picked up from the property appraisers office gave specifics for all the other livestock, but when it came to poultry there was a small paragraph that said "case by case basis".

I know I will need to keep all receipts concerning the farm and write an Agricultural Farm Business Plan.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with this.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

I don't have experience with Florida laws but I was turned away twice when I tried to get a tax exemption here in Texas.

From what I'm hearing, I need to have a few hundred ducks and it has to be a commercial business. Once all the ducklings are out of the brooder I will call the property appraiser for an assessment. I'm hoping that because I'm a school teacher I can articulate the duck farm for educational purposes. We will see.

Rich

Most counties in Texas require you to be utilizing 15 acres or more to qualify for ag/timber exemption. However things like food and straw/hay are tax exempt without having an ag number.

I’m in Palm Beach. I have an Ag classification and have had it for many years.

The land has to be used for a commercial agricultural business. You have to submit proof of the commercial nature. If you live on the land then a minimum of one acre will be taxed at the residential rate. The land has to be in use as of January 1. The inspector comes out within a few days of the new year to verify land usage. If there’s any questions or issues you have until either March or April (can’t recall which month) to resolve.

Different ag businesses get different levels of a tax break. It can be quite a savings.

Your best bet is to call the Ag department of your county and talk to them. The people here on PBC were quite helpful.

Good luck!

Most counties in Texas require you to be utilizing 15 acres or more to qualify for ag/timber exemption. However things like food and straw/hay are tax exempt without having an ag number.
I have been trying to read all into it and I can't find where it states land requirements. I read somewhere that selling chicken eggs can make you exempt as agricultural (not timber)

That's why I wanted to ask, to see if anyone has done it and what is the fine print. What actual requirements are there, ie how many chickens, do you have to sell a certain amount, ect.

Back
Top Bottom