FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

I have a couple of 3 sided coops, They are pvc hoop type with a tarp over half of it, this means the whole thing is enclosed with wire but they are sheltered from wind and rain in half of it. They function well for me with a couple of exceptions. I have too much mud in the summer that gets tracked into the whole area, when it rains alot (and it rains hard here) the feed can get wet, which of course is a big waste of $$. I have devised ways to keep the feed dry but the mud thing still gets me.

I put shade cloth over the open area in the summer, or even then they would still get too hot.

my runs are not open top, and my dogs seem to scare off the predators so they don't come into the area..

Last edited:
It will be attached to a run and I'm planning to use hardware cloth as well as a roof over the top of the entire coop and run. I'm thinking of having the more open end face the south end of my property so it sounds like that will work okay for us. Thank you tigercreek, cmom, and Runawaylobster :)

I'm in the panhandle of FL and want to find out what others do with hatching by incubator in humid FL.

I hatch in a LG still air bator with temp btw 100-102. I try to keep humidity around 35% until day 19 when I up to around 65%. I use shipped eggs. My issue is that out of 24 eggs I might get btw 4-7 that hatch. When I eggtopsy the others that make it to lock down (this time 14 eggs made it to lockdown) they are usually fully formed but still wet or else have a clear gel it's in and did not even internally pip from. :(. Can someone suggest things I can do to improve my hatch rate? I'm so sad to see so many get so close. I wonder if hatches will be better in cool fall and spring?

I don't fill the little channel thingies. I use tiny plastic cups. This allows me to control the humidity better since we don't need to add much here. Sometimes I have a hard time keeping it low enough which I still haven't figured out how to fix. I use a genesis air. I would like a cabinet at some point.

Does anyone know how to convert an armoire into an incubator?

I don't fill the little channel thingies. I use tiny plastic cups. This allows me to control the humidity better since we don't need to add much here. Sometimes I have a hard time keeping it low enough which I still haven't figured out how to fix. I use a genesis air. I would like a cabinet at some point.

Does anyone know how to convert an armoire into an incubator?
What temp and humidity do you use? I just started putting rice invthe bator and that brought humidity down about 5% more than without.

I'm in the panhandle of FL and want to find out what others do with hatching by incubator in humid FL.

I hatch in a LG still air bator with temp btw 100-102. I try to keep humidity around 35% until day 19 when I up to around 65%. I use shipped eggs. My issue is that out of 24 eggs I might get btw 4-7 that hatch. When I eggtopsy the others that make it to lock down (this time 14 eggs made it to lockdown) they are usually fully formed but still wet or else have a clear gel it's in and did not even internally pip from.
sad.png
. Can someone suggest things I can do to improve my hatch rate? I'm so sad to see so many get so close. I wonder if hatches will be better in cool fall and spring?

I don't add any water during days 1-18. If by chance the humidity gets below 25% then I will add enough to get it up in the low 30's. At lockdown humidity goes to 63% and then when I see first pip I up it to the high 60's.

Are these shipped eggs or local? That will have a big affect on what hatches.

Back
Top Bottom