FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Hi, I'm new to the forum so I'm not sure where to post this to. I live in Cape Coral, Florida and I've run into a bit of a problem. Code enforcement is very strict up down here, but I was told multiple times by many people that you could keep chickens in Cape Coral as long as a child in the family is in 4-H. I have gotten myself into a bit of a tight spot as I rescued two chickens and now am finding out that it was all rumor and that chickens are not allowed in any way. I've already started to join 4-H so I have that, but I'm not allowed to keep my babies.

I'm going to keep them for as long as I can before I get turned in/caught, but I need some help finding a place for my chickens in case I can't keep them with me anymore. I've been looking at some chicken ranches but they all seem to just kill/eat the roosters if there are any, and one even told me that they use them for bobcat traps. I could never leave my babies in a place like that.

I have what we think is one rooster and one mystery, but they are the sweetest little chickens ever. They follow me around the yard and cuddle with me. They sleep on me and like to have their necks scratched. I love them so much and I don't want them to get eaten or killed, especially not by being ripped apart by a bobcat.

I'm willing to pay for all of their expenses, and will provide all the food/toys/treats for them. I will even get a coop for them to keep them separate from the other chickens. They grew up together so they are quite happy to just be off by themselves.

I'm not sure if it will even be needed, but I am so terrified of my chickens being killed. If anyone has any recommendations for places they could stay if worse comes to worse that would be wonderful.

Thank you so much for your help in advance.

I am in a city that does not allow chickens and code enforcement can be really hard if they catch any "code breakers". I have a good relationship with my neighbors and chick often that my girls are not singing too loud. I have roosters, too. I take them into the garage every night and don't put them out till after 8 am. It is a pain in the b*** but worth it so no "cock a doodle dos" in the am to wake anyone too early. So - so good

I am in a city that does not allow chickens and code enforcement can be really hard if they catch any "code breakers". I have a good relationship with my neighbors and chick often that my girls are not singing too loud. I have roosters, too. I take them into the garage every night and don't put them out till after 8 am. It is a pain in the b*** but worth it so no "cock a doodle dos" in the am to wake anyone too early. So - so good
Oh, that's an awesome idea! I did not even think about that. The outside coop is pretty big and roomy so they should be okay there while I am away during the day, but at night bringing them in would be smart. Do you think a dog crate would be enough for them to sleep in? I'm not sure what else would be good for them but I'm willing to try anything as long as I can keep them.

I have no neighbors on either side and only one in the back over the canal, so if Cupcake starts crowing too much I will have to pop over there and ask them.

Thank you so much for your tip!

wahoo! so happy for you...
clap.gif

For the most part code enforcement only ever finds a problem of any sort via complaint of a neighbor.
Since you have no close by neighbors you really shouldn't encounter any problems.
Of course that will depend on the size of the crow in your roo...
Mine are OEG bantams and are not loud at all. I can hear them right outside my back door, but not loudly even when they are only a few feet from the sliding glass panes. And it's quiet enough that my husband, who doesn't share my love of chickens at all, finds it cute and endearing rather than bothersome.
I live out in the country with no close houses at all. None within eyesight of each other anywhere on the road I'm on. But I'll probably never end up with large fowl just because they would aggravate my husband. On our trips to Key West he curses those wild birds every morning. LOL

This is so cool! Play dates for the chickies!! I kid I kid but for real over here in Palm Bay Florida just chillin with my chicks. <3

Sure, a dog crate would be fine. I happen to have a old rabbit hutch that I converted to a rooster penthouse. A few shavings in the bottom and some food and water and he should be good.

I noticed that sometimes the rooster dives into his food like he is starved when I bring him in. I think he may be so busy with his manly duties that he does not eat too much during the day
jumpy.gif

Oh, that's an awesome idea! I did not even think about that. The outside coop is pretty big and roomy so they should be okay there while I am away during the day, but at night bringing them in would be smart. Do you think a dog crate would be enough for them to sleep in? I'm not sure what else would be good for them but I'm willing to try anything as long as I can keep them.

I have no neighbors on either side and only one in the back over the canal, so if Cupcake starts crowing too much I will have to pop over there and ask them.

Thank you so much for your tip!
Sure, BakeryBunch, a dog crate would be fine. I happen to have a old rabbit hutch that I converted to a rooster penthouse. A few shavings in the bottom and some food and water and he should be good.

I noticed that sometimes the rooster dives into his food like he is starved when I bring him in. I think he may be so busy with his manly duties that he does not eat too much during the day
jumpy.gif

Next week I'm heading to Chicago for a week. Well, not a week in Chicago because two days drive there and two days drive back. But, I'll basically be gone a week and that's what bugs me even though I'm really looking forward to the trip.
My OEG bantam crew (Arthur, Eddie, Alice, Anjie, Astra, Star, and the Blart boys-my three extra cockerels I'm waiting to mature before I cull/rehome) has moved into their big tractor juvie pen, which has plenty of room I think; approx 5x15 ground space for the nine of them. They have a no spill 5gal bucket feeder that will hold more than enough feed for them, and a 5 gallon bucket fit with drinking nipples. Food, water, shade, sun, sand, hay, and green grass. They should be fine. BUT I won't be home to let them out for free time every day, and husband won't because they don't really listen to him when it comes to going back into their pen. Weird, I clap my hands and call them and they come. Him not so much, they run under the shrubs and act difficult. Hopefully he will give them at least a daily slice of cold melon, and they will get more used to him.
I'm still going to feel guilty about leaving them. He also won't do their daily BSF treat or hold and pet them. I'm the chicken nut around here, he's just tolerant of the resident chicken nut.

Try to enjoy your trip. Treats are the way to a chicken's heart. If my birds don't want to go back into their pens, when they see the treat bucket they come running for treats.

Back
Top Bottom