FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Welcome, everyone!
welcome-byc.gif

Areala - so far I have found taking care of a few chickens to be far less work than dogs. I worry most about stray dogs and hawks here in St.Pete. Make sure your run is covered. I think our possums and coons are all so city-fied they just prefer to dig in the garbage. Just too much effort to try and take down a full size chicken. That's what I'm hoping, anyway. I know they are around, I see them at night sometimes, but they haven't bothered the birds yet.

Hello. I am new at raising chicks and have 6 little 2wk old cuties that I mail ordered.
I live in Orange Park, NE Florida right near Middleburg which I see we have a lot of owners there.
This is fun.

Thanks for all the responses....Yes I worry about the dogs....and I hope your right that it's more work to take care of dogs than chickens.
If that's the case I won't have any problems.

I went to the auction today in Dade City on Darby road and spoke to several people there and they did inform me about putting a cover on my run as well. They said the racoons will reach in and grab a chicken and tear it's head off and eat it so if you have chickens with no heads you will know what happened.

I don't know how big your land is in St. Pete but here in Tarpon off East Lake we have 3 1/2 acres so maybe it's just country enough for those darn racoons.....

Good Luck with your venture since your a newbie too but sounds like you know more about what your doing than I do so I maybe contacting you for advice or help !!!

Take Care

Pat

Quote:
No, I'm a just a newbie that is off from work all summer and spending too much time on this addictive website, reading about other people's chickens, problems, and what they have done about them. But yeah, I am definately right smack dab in the middle of a city, just north of downtown. I have just under an acre, which is about the biggest yard I've seen anywhere around here, and is why I bought the place. There is another guy on here from Tarpon, and he says he has a lot of racoons, too.

To all you Florida chicken folks, I am wondering if you have a problem with fireants getting into the coop and/or bedding. I do and can not seem to keep them in control in my yard as they get under mulch in the flower beds and everywhere. Now I am afraid the chicks might get sick with the normal ant killer chemicals and bait. Please help. Do yall have floors in your coops??

To all you Florida chicken folks, I am wondering if you have a problem with fireants getting into the coop and/or bedding. I do and can not seem to keep them in control in my yard as they get under mulch in the flower beds and everywhere. Now I am afraid the chicks might get sick with the normal ant killer chemicals and bait. Please help. Do yall have floors in your coops??

Yes I do have a problem with fire ants I have seen them kill chicks as well. The only thing I have found to work for awhile is to remove the chickens to another area and treat with Ortho fire ant killer. I then wash down the area to be sure the granules are gone and return the chickens. I have sand in the floor of my coops but I have one coop with a wooden floor that the ants get in as well. There is alos an organic killer that I have used when I can get it. Ace Hardware store carries it. It is called Orangeguard. That can be used anywhere without removing the chickens as its will not harm them. Good luck I will be watching to see if anyone else has any ideas. I HATE FIRE ANTS.

I had high hopes that my poultry would eat up the fire ants in my yard. I've even offered a handsome cash incentive AND promised to install an air conditioner in the coop of the ones to do so. But so far none of them, not the chickens, guineas, ducks nor geese have taken me up on my offer.
sad.png

But they really don't bother the birds and are only a threat to hatching chicks. Otherwise they just swarm on things that are already dead. I think that's their purpose in life, to dispose of carcasses on the jungle floor.

I control them by sprinkling 5% Sevin Dust, or other insecticidal powder like Bayer Advanced Insecticidal Dust http://www.bayeradvanced.com/insects-pests/products/complete-brand-insect-dust-for-gardens over & around their mounds. I also put it in & around the nest boxes of brooding hens.

I don't aim to eliminate every single fire ant on my property, just try to control the ones living on the main walking paths or around my setting hens.

Back
Top Bottom