FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Been wet here since noon, ground is so soft after all the previous rain we had too. Just locked everyone up for the night early and bedded down with fresh dry bedding everywhere for the wet feathers.

I'm putting galoshes and fowl weather gear on the girls as we speak!
lau.gif

Seriously though, I live in a swamp and put the chicken yard in a low spot. It's miserable out there, poor chickens.

I am so sorry to hear that. :( You have first crack at eggs from Stans stock. I'll even hatch them for you.

Thanks Ingrid,
After we get the coyotes taken care of I will take you up on your offer.

Maye!  That sucks!  I'm so sorry :( .  I can't believe we were just talking about this today.  Coyotes are really scary.  In fact the last time I saw a live one was out by you...just trotting down the road around noon.  A friend down in Malabar was loosing his stock to coyotes & he got a guard llama and hasn't had anymore trouble.

Hi Cindy,
It was great talking to you. Let's hope it's not raining on Friday.

Maye, so so sorry. We too had cyote problems before the Pyrenees grew to size. They yotes have now moved on. Heard reports people about a mile away lost a number of goats to them.
Our son raises FBCMarans Maye and so far has no clean legs popping out, no thumb print combs, and no carnation combs. Nice deep egg color too. Let us know if we can be of help, I know he doesn't have plans to keep another roo currently.

Thank-you Shellie,

I will take you up on your offer of a FBCMaran roo, and maybe some girls for him.

Maye, I am so sorry that the coyote got Elvis and his girls.  It must have been watching your place and fast to get so many before they could scatter.

Hi Cindy,

It' s not that they are watching, it's that we have 3 different packs within 1 to 1.5 miles of us. And they all have litters on the ground now. Saw one a little over 2 weeks ago snatch a cat from 2 places over. I was schooling one of my horses and couldn't do anything about it. Couldn't sleep last night so about 0300 went out and took another look at fence. Saw the claw marks where they came over. Had 2 different sets of tracks on my side of the fence. When I climbed into the next pasture I saw multiple sets of tracks, adult,teenage and this years crop of pups. So if all three packs are getting that big we are in big trouble. Keeping the shotgun loaded. Chooks are not happy the are all on lockdown.

Total of losses so far:

1 cat
9 roos and pullets from LionHounds place(neighbor)
8 two great roos and six hen and pullets from me.

This is just what I know of so far.

Thank-you all for your kind words and support, this really does help. I will keep you posted on the hunt.

Maye

Last edited:
Hi May -

It was nice meeting you yesterday. I'm sorry you are having such problems with coyotes. If you want, I have a couple of black or partridge Brahmas you can have to get your flock back up. Good luck hunting!

Hi May -

It was nice meeting you yesterday.  I'm sorry you are having such problems with coyotes.  If you want, I have a couple of black or partridge Brahmas you can have to get your flock back up.  Good luck hunting!

It was great meeting you at the swap. Boy you sure have some great looking Brahmas, would love to have some. But will not be getting anything untill we get these packs knocked down. All the neighbors are on the warpath now. Found out one up the ridge from me lost some baby goats. So they are getting really bold.

BTW, Korrin's new girls are getting spoiled rotten. They are settling in and all the kids love them.

Maye

We just came in after digging out our coops. Way too much rain! We had to dig little trenches so it would drain so they could have a sort of dry spot to stand in. I really feel sorry for the neighbors behind us - their house is the lowest spot in the neighborhood.

Our surprise this morning - This tree folded our 4-foot fence like an accordion! At least it's not the fence into the back yard, so the chickens are still secure in their coops. We have lots of smaller branches down, too, and more of this wonderful weather still coming. Thanks Debby! I can't believe I was begging for rain just a few weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom