FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Tylan 50 administered in the breast was a wonder drug for me just like CMOM suggested. It doesn't cure your chicken but does knock out symptoms. I thought it was every day for 3 days and no more than 5 days so I'd search it on the forums to double check. I'd keep them separate til you don't see anymore symptoms in the chicken.. Could be up to two weeks is my best guess. I have done a ton of reading but can't replace tons of actual experience people on here have. The professor in charge of poultry at University of Florida Vet School I talked to never uses antibiotics on his personal flock and lets nature weed out the weak. He also does not kill sick birds or the entire flock if a bird gets CRD. Good luck and keep us posted.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/599057/tylan-50-dosing-instructions

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/668686/tylan-50-dose

Well I'm not really comfortable with the thought of giving injections. I have no training for that sort of thing and would be afraid of causing more harm than good.I will wait it out and see what happens.

Well I'm not really comfortable with the thought of giving injections. I have no training for that sort of thing and would be afraid of causing more harm than good.I will wait it out and see what happens.
I totally understand how you feel. I would guess 95 percent on the people on here had no experience before giving chickens a shot for the first time (myself included). It was way easier than I expected. You use the smallest gauge needle they sell at the feed store and don't have to poke it into the breast very far. My chickens never even made a noise when I did it. Tylan can also be given by mouth if you change your mind. I'm not using anymore antibiotics on my chickens if i ever get sick ones again so I respect your decision. Ironically I sell medication to hospitals for a living.

Last edited:
me either, but i have heard it's safer to give it in the thigh because that way you can make sure you don't accidentally hit any internal organs..

I totally understand how you feel. I would guess 95 percent on the people on here had no experience before giving chickens a shot for the first time (myself included). It was way easier than I expected. You use the smallest gauge needle they sell at the feed store and don't have to poke it into the breast very far. My chickens never even made a noise when I did it. Tylan can also be given by mouth if you change your mind. I'm not using anymore antibiotics on my chickens if i ever get sick ones again so I respect your decision. Ironically I sell medication to hospitals for a living.

If I gave it by mouth how much would I give and for how long?

Last edited:
Update on hen. She is still doing well. Still eating drinking and moving around. No meds just yet. Still has the congested sound to her but other than that she seems fine. Going to let her out on the other side of the yard today for some sunshine after she finishes eating her tomato.:)

Update on hen. She is still doing well. Still eating drinking and moving around. No meds just yet. Still has the congested sound to her but other than that she seems fine. Going to let her out on the other side of the yard today for some sunshine after she finishes eating her tomato.:)

Aww. Good luck with her. Hope she's better soon. Hate it when one of the kids is under the weather :(

Just wanted to share this fun photo I took! This is the first one I got of my girl Susan that looks good! She is so hard to photograph! =]

I also wanted to ask about having a mixed flock... I have all different breeds I want to add a couple more chickens...Im thinking a Silkie and a Russian orloff. I had fighting in the beginning but now that I have filtered out the Roos they are all happy.

I have had fighting too when introducing new members, but was told as long as there was no injury or blood drawing to let it be. They have to establish a pecking order. :)

Quote: My under standing of the doses is if you are injecting to inject 1/2cc every other day for 3 days alternating from one side of the breast to the other. If you are giving it orally 1/2cc daily for 3 days as the injections work faster than given orally, but I'm not a pro. I have a friend who is a veterinarian. I will ask her what the proper dosage is.

Back
Top Bottom