FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

I have a question, what do you central florida folks charge for started pullets, i have super blues and olive eggers that are at about 10 weeks?

I also still have my breeding pairs for sale, these are adult birds that are
already laying eggs.

Lavender Orpingtons $60.00
Black Copper Marans $60.00
Crested Cream Legbars $100.00

Lesley

I have a question, what do you central florida folks charge for started pullets,  i have super blues and olive eggers that are at about 10 weeks?

I also still have my breeding pairs for sale,  these are adult birds that are
already laying eggs.

Lavender Orpingtons $60.00
Black Copper Marans $60.00
Crested Cream Legbars $100.00

Lesley

Well, other might have a different opinion... but my medium sized faverolles cost my $7 - $8 per bird to grow out to the age of 6 months. That is based on feed costing me $13.90 for a 50lb bag. I sell day,old straight run faverolles for $5 each, and I figure $2-$3 a bird for electricity for heating and incubating... so, at a minimum, I would ask $15 for started birds. Or, more specifically, probably $20 for pullet and $10 for a good breeder cockerel.

Editted to say I move grow out chicks of lights at one month old, so that $2-$3 electricity would be included in anything that is of lights. Basically, charge what you would for a day old, add electricity and feed (calculated at 1lb/wk first month and add an additional 1/4 lb every following month, then take your feed cost per pound...)... around here most people think you are crazy selling anything over $10, so I do not ever intentionally grow out birds for sale as it just isnt worth it, and to price them at $10 would be barely covering cost.

Last edited:
Well, other might have a different opinion... but my medium sized faverolles cost my $7 - $8 per bird to grow out to the age of 6 months. That is based on feed costing me $13.90 for a 50lb bag. I sell day,old straight run faverolles for $5 each, and I figure $2-$3 a bird for electricity for heating and incubating... so, at a minimum, I would ask $15 for started birds. Or, more specifically, probably $20 for pullet and $10 for a good breeder cockerel.

Editted to say I move grow out chicks of lights at one month old, so that $2-$3 electricity would be included in anything that is of lights. Basically, charge what you would for a day old, add electricity and feed (calculated at 1lb/wk first month and add an additional 1/4 lb every following month, then take your feed cost per pound...)... around here most people think you are crazy selling anything over $10, so I do not ever intentionally grow out birds for sale as it just isnt worth it, and to price them at $10 would be barely covering cost.

thanks for such a great answer. My feed costs are a little higher at $15.95 per bag, but i really dont need lights for more than 2 weeks down here. I too charge $5 for straight run chicks, and $7 for the lav orpingtons.

This is the first year that i have done a big hatch like this so it is all experimental right now. Most people are happy to pay $5 and $7 although i am sure i only get the people who dont want the $3 feed store chicks. They are less happy that they are straight run.

yes i am not growing these out intentionally either, but i have more chicks than i want right now and they
are getting bigger so i figure i need to see what the market will bear, related to the cost of growing out.

i consider the breeding pairs a bit differently because they are my backup cockerels so they are the pick of the litter so to speak.. (oh yes and the legbar chicks cost me $25.00 each to begin with LOL!!!)

thanks very much, I think i have a reasonable price in mind now... My chicks are entering what i call the raptor phase, this is when they pretty much empty the feeder in less time than it takes me to refill it
big_smile.png

Hi Everyone,

I joined a couple of days ago. I am originally from Plant City (Tampa area) and am moving back to the general area in a few months. Are there many swaps or poultry auctions in the area?

Back
Top Bottom