FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

@NorthFLChick : Thanks!

Now just to build their coop so we don't have to pen them in that tiny box every night. This will be a looooong project...

Hi,
I'm in the Naples area and looking for advise on breeds that tolerate the hot humid summers here...I have a large barn like structure the size of a carport that I'm turning into a coop but I'm unsure of how many walls I should add to it if any? Any and all south florida experience and advise is much appreciated!! I'm planning on buying the chicks at the end of June/July...

Hi,
I'm in the Naples area and looking for advise on breeds that tolerate the hot humid summers here...I have a large barn like structure the size of a carport that I'm turning into a coop but I'm unsure of how many walls I should add to it if any? Any and all south florida experience and advise is much appreciated!! I'm planning on buying the chicks at the end of June/July...

You can have most any breed but they will need shade and plenty of water. I have shade tables in all of my pens. I have planted some fast growing trees but they aren't big enough yet to provide shade. I do have auto waterers also in all of my pens. The wind is mostly out of the west but once in awhile will come from the east, southwest.

This is an old picture and we have added 3 more coops since it was taken but all of the coops have the auto waterers.

I do have the feeders inside the coops to keep the feed dry especially with the daily rains in the summer months.

Oh wow!! Impressive! I put the coop under a huge mango tree so they'll have shade all day. Do they like to be "inside" at night? Meaning, is it essential that there's walls or could I install nesting boxes only? Also, I've been obsessively reading everything here at BYC and saw someone mention vitamin C and D supplements for tropical birds...do you have any experience with that? My son wants Brahmas and it seems like they'd be a good fit for us...we're primarily into this because of the eggs and the learning process...

Last edited:
Hi,
Haven't had our chickens through a summer yet. But I am thinking plenty of shade, plenty of water, a couple milk jugs frozen that they can "chill" near and ice treats as well as frozen fruits & veggies.

Oh wow!! Impressive! I put the coop under a huge mango tree so they'll have shade all day. Do they like to be "inside" at night? Meaning, is it essential that there's walls or could I install nesting boxes only? Also, I've been obsessively reading everything here at BYC and saw someone mention vitamin C and D supplements for tropical birds...do you have any experience with that? My son wants Brahmas and it seems like they'd be a good fit for us...we're primarily into this because of the eggs and the learning process...

We have been at this for many years. Our first coop was the tall one in the picture in my other post. As time has gone on we have added more coops. I make sure I feed my birds a good feed. All the nutrients they need are in the feed. I do give the birds treats. They only get their treats in the evenings when I collect the eggs. I do show my birds at poultry shows. Here is a picture of a couple of coops my DH and a friend built a couple of years ago. I did have an owl get in and kill several birds. Now I have netting completely covering all of the pens. The white lines around the pens are electric. If any predator touches them they will get shocked. I also have sprinklers set up so on the really hot days I can turn on the sprinkles which help to cool the ground.

This is when I moved the birds to another coop until I could secure these. They do have roosts for them at night and nest boxes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom