FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

I went to the Graceville auction about two weeks ago and I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for chickens, maybe if you wanted a goat or a piggy lol if you can go to the auction in Paxton (first Saturday of every month) which is about 30-45 west of Graceville that one is amazing! Chickens start selling around 1ish depending on how many large livestock they have to go through first. Warning though there are usually a ton of chickens there and you might go home with more than you planned lol The chickens in my profile picture are from the Paxton auction (wasn't planning on buying any that day but oops) they are super amazing chickens though and I love them so much :) :)

Thanks a bunch. We will look into the Paxton auction.

Hey everyone I'm in Hastings fl,(n central) I have a small flock of games and a few layers in the coop.Games are Curtis Blackwell Hatch and I am trying to talk hubby into a couple of a different color I would love a couple White Hackles (spangles)if anyone close has a couple eggs I can stick in the bator.Here's a pic of Rock n Roll.

Hey everyone I'm in Hastings fl,(n central) I have a small flock of games and a few layers in the coop.Games are Curtis Blackwell Hatch and I am trying to talk hubby into a couple of a different color I would love a couple White Hackles (spangles)if anyone close has a couple eggs I can stick in the bator.Here's a pic of Rock n Roll.

Welcome to the Florida thread!

SOOOOO Yesterday was my birthday and i went and picked up 2 pullets, both 4 1/2 months old!
big_smile.png
SO excited, then on my way to get some diatomaceous earth i ended up with 2 chicks
roll.png
, I wanted all pullets but meh, i can't seem to find the other breeds i want in pullet unless i order online which would take forever, and i can't order just 3 pullets of all different breeds without paying a leg. my pullets are brown sex link, red star, red comet, what ever who calls 'em what and where, lol. my chicks are a barred rock and Ameraucana, though i wanted an Easter Egger, she's close enough. now I've got to find my Sussex and i'll be all full. This first pic is the ladies once i got them in their coop, just before i added their roosting pole. It's a make shift coop at the moment, with one side completely closed off, the back side has the screened vent up top, the right side is enclosed on top and bottom half screened and the front side and door are fully screened. I did it this way so that they get some sunlight in the morning and early afternoon, but the hottest parts of the day are shaded, they have a homemade auto-waterer made with a gallon jug and an old Pyrex dish, lol! had i known it was that easy to make one i wouldn't have ordered some online! Well the darker lady is more of a beast, she's def head honcho of her sister, we are deciding on whether to name her Countess Drogon or Brienne of the coop. (Game of thrones names) She attacked me when pulling them from their transport cage to the coop, she didn't like when i had pulled her sis out so when i went for her she fluffed up and came after me, which made her easy to catch!
lol.png

This cutie above is the more timid and shy honey. Not sure what we're going to name her.. Sansa, Honey, Darlin' or Princess Chauncey Fluffenbottom. I was a bit sad to see their beaks had been trimmed, i'm one for leaving nature and it was created. That being said i did bring the chicks to meet the pullets for about 5 minutes (I know I know) miss angry butt tried to peck at the ameraucana but i put my arm in front of lil miss murder pants and shushed her while petting her (which i found she loves!!) and she spent the next 5 mins purring and slowly trotting around the chicks, checking them out, then she'd go eat, come back and watch them, go check on miss gentle lady and come back and watch the babies hop around.i'm going to try to do this for 5 minutes twice a day since she did so well and after i feel she's coming along better i will up it to 10 minutes/day twice a day, until they are able to be a flock.

Now the chicks!

We haven't got the slightest clue what we are naming them yet, but the BR is def the boss of the Ameraucana here, yet she totally submits when she's around the pullets. The Ameraucana chick is the silliest chick, she trips over the hay, falls in the water, and tries to shove her fat butt under the BR! which kinda makes me sad because she wants a momma. they run after us and follow us when we pass by and it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO HARD to NOT pick them up and cuddle their adorable fluffy tushes! Needless to say they are in a homemade brooder in the house, the kids respect they can't hold them, the cats are terrified of them, and one dog wants to cuddle and bathe them while the other wants to eat them (I'm assuming, he's a hunter so i'm not even testing that one!!) They are kept safe and monitored constantly last night, and i am so nervous about being at work today and not being able to have them here with me! they are locked up tight but baby birds die so easily i'm just assuming everything is out to eat the little nuggets
hide.gif

Hi there and
welcome-byc.gif

Hey everyone I'm in Hastings fl,(n central) I have a small flock of games and a few layers in the coop.Games are Curtis Blackwell Hatch and I am trying to talk hubby into a couple of a different color I would love a couple White Hackles (spangles)if anyone close has a couple eggs I can stick in the bator.
welcome-byc.gif
and the Florida thread.

We are still planning on having our monthly Crystal River Mall Rural King Farm Swap this coming Saturday, March 26th. Rain is in the forecast from around 50% to 90% depending on what channel you check. Hopefully it won't rain in the morning.

We are still planning on having the Crystal River Mall Rural King Farm Swap. The last forecast I looked at this morning is calling for afternoon rain, so hopefully we won't get rained on. I will be bringing a few Rhode Island Red hens. I have a Rhode Island White cockerel available if anyone is interested.

Now the chicks!

We haven't got the slightest clue what we are naming them yet, but the BR is def the boss of the Ameraucana here, yet she totally submits when she's around the pullets. The Ameraucana chick is the silliest chick, she trips over the hay, falls in the water, and tries to shove her fat butt under the BR! which kinda makes me sad because she wants a momma. they run after us and follow us when we pass by and it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO HARD to NOT pick them up and cuddle their adorable fluffy tushes! Needless to say they are in a homemade brooder in the house, the kids respect they can't hold them, the cats are terrified of them, and one dog wants to cuddle and bathe them while the other wants to eat them (I'm assuming, he's a hunter so i'm not even testing that one!!) They are kept safe and monitored constantly last night, and i am so nervous about being at work today and not being able to have them here with me! they are locked up tight but baby birds die so easily i'm just assuming everything is out to eat the little nuggets
hide.gif

Handling the chicks is no crime. It is actually good to handle them some when they are young. When they get older they may not want to be held.

Handling the chicks is no crime. It is actually good to handle them some when they are young. When they get older they may not want to be held.
x2. We hold ours for a minute or two twice a day - babies and older ones and some are friendly, some are shy but it never hurt them. We just wash our hands real good before and after

Back
Top Bottom