FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

You could try

I had no luck breaking any of mine that went broody.

I just give em eggs to hatch and grin at the new chicks

My rooster has not been activated yet. ; ) He crows, is aggressive, but has not figured out his Daddy role yet. None of the eggs are fertile. I moved her off the nest today - there is one egg - I hand fed her, gave her some water, put her back on the nest because she was not about to get up and walk. The most broody hen I have ever seen. My silkies would get up and eat and drink.
I'm curious about this broody thing. Wondering what do I do if mine go broody when I'm not raising them to hatch eggs?
Exactly. I hope to have more chickens some day, but until the rooster gets into it, only infertile eggs. I am going to let her sit, feed her and water her, and hope she gets the idea and gets up after the prescribed length of time to get an egg to hatch. I did not have the heart to take the one unfertile egg away from her today. And hey, she may surprise me, they may all surprise me! Rooster can be "active on the down-low" or something like that! ; ) For anyone wondering if their breed makes for good brooders, most eggs, etc., google them! I found out Blue Wyandottes are not especially broody, (um . . .. ) their eggs are not large (true) but my one hen must really want to be a mommy. Maybe I can find some fertile eggs around where I live and put them under her . . .

My rooster has not been activated yet.  ; )  He crows, is aggressive, but has not figured out his Daddy role yet.  None of the eggs are fertile.  I moved her off the nest today - there is one egg - I hand fed her, gave her some water, put her back on the nest because she was not about to get up and walk.  The most broody hen I have ever seen.  My silkies would get up and eat and drink.  
Exactly.  I hope to have more chickens some day, but until the rooster gets into it, only infertile eggs.  I am going to let her sit, feed her and water her, and hope she gets the idea and gets up after the prescribed length of time to get an egg to hatch.  I did not have the heart to take the one unfertile egg away from her today.  And hey, she may surprise me, they may all surprise me!  Rooster can be "active on the down-low" or something like that!  ; )   For anyone wondering if their breed makes for good brooders, most eggs, etc., google them!  I found out Blue Wyandottes are not especially broody, (um . . .. ) their eggs are not large (true) but my one hen must really want to be a mommy.  Maybe I can find some fertile eggs around where I live and put them under her . . . 

Maybe get her eggs from a local farm or shipped.
I have done both lol

Our light sussex, Jeanie, went broody. And I mean broody with a serious purpose, wouldn't get up not even for her favorite treats. Pick her up, set her down outside the mini barn and down she'd go. Wouldn't stand. Then she would and it was a beeline back to her box. So yeah, after stern talks with her about her egg production stopping...we gave in and we got those 6 cream legbar eggs. They all hatched, babies are 5 weeks old and and she gave us an egg this morning. I got to say, I'm impressed with her.
It was like BAM I lay eggs now I'm full grown!
Bam! I want babies!
Bam! They're good to go
Bam! I lay eggs now! Eurh..again!

" I say what I does and what all I doesn't! mister"

Our light sussex, Jeanie, went broody. And I mean broody with a serious purpose, wouldn't get up not even for her favorite treats. Pick her up, set her down outside the mini barn and down she'd go. Wouldn't stand. Then she would and it was a beeline back to her box. So yeah, after stern talks with her about her egg production stopping...we gave in and we got those 6 cream legbar eggs. They all hatched, babies are 5 weeks old and and she gave us an egg this morning. I got to say, I'm impressed with her. It was like BAM I lay eggs now I'm full grown! Bam! I want babies! Bam! They're good to go Bam! I lay eggs now! Eurh..again! " I say what I does and what all I doesn't! mister"
Your 'chicken conversations' always make me smile- Thanks for sharing your sense of humor!!

Our light sussex, Jeanie, went broody. And I mean broody with a serious purpose, wouldn't get up not even for her favorite treats. Pick her up, set her down outside the mini barn and down she'd go. Wouldn't stand. Then she would and it was a beeline back to her box. So yeah, after stern talks with her about her egg production stopping...we gave in and we got those 6 cream legbar eggs. They all hatched, babies are 5 weeks old and and she gave us an egg this morning. I got to say, I'm impressed with her.
It was like BAM I lay eggs now I'm full grown!
Bam! I want babies!
Bam! They're good to go
Bam! I lay eggs now! Eurh..again!

" I say what I does and what all I doesn't! mister"
My question is this - will the hen sit on that nest until a chick is hatched? Or will she give up? I do not really want to feed into her need to be a mommy right now. I have a wind-up chick somewhere that poops out candy, maybe I should wind-er up and put her under the hen? Load it with wax worms or something?

Maybe get her eggs from a local farm or shipped.
I have done both lol
Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhh . . . there are no local farms and I don't want chicks. I just want fresh eggs. Which I cannot eat for 30 days anyway since worming them - I am going to have to toughen up, take that egg away, and hope she snaps to. At least she is eating out of my hand and drinking a little water from a milk bottle cap. She was pretty much catatonic for a bit there. When I took her out of the box this morning she just stayed exactly the same on the ground wouldn't get up and I had to pick her back up and put her back in the box. Her mind is firmly set on hatching eggs!!! Maybe I could rent her out to people who want chicks but do not have broody hens . . . ; )

Well that makes me feel better. I have a flock of rsl.

On a tota side note, just spent the night in my new travel trailer! Sold the old class c and got something everyone will be much happier in. First trip planned for Memorial Day weekend with 3 other fams. Felt like a kid in the best treehouse ever made. Gonna be hard to get work done today knowing she needs settin up!

First, thanks TravelingWillow. I think we all have conversations with our chickens, though. Don't we? When my wife and/or I spend time with them we do voices for their responses to us. I'm sure our one neighbor that shares the fence behind the mini hen house barn thinks we're a little touched in the head. Hearing our conversations...like on meal worm Fridays...
"Who wants meal worms?"

( in fast high pitched mini mouse voices)

"Mealworms? I like mealworms"
"Mememememe! I want meal worms! She pecked at my poopies, she's not hunger!"
"That was poopies? It was so colorful"
"
I want some I want some! PECK Hey that's a finger not a meal worm I got jipped!"
"HEY! She got a HUGE one! Get her!" ( as they race around in circles )

OK, so...back to sanity. On the topic of broody hens, since I haven't seen our resident chicken pros toss in their 2 cents and it something I'd like to know more about too I went and did a search and got this. If Jeanie the Beauty even thinks about going broody again I'm trying it. Maybe it could help you

How to Break a Broody Hen

On a tota side note, just spent the night in my new travel trailer! Sold the old class c and got something everyone will be much happier in. First trip planned for Memorial Day weekend with 3 other fams. Felt like a kid in the best treehouse ever made. Gonna be hard to get work done today knowing she needs settin up!

I LOVE travel trailers. We have a show every year at South Florida fairgrounds and I try to go just to be able to walk into 50 Diesel Pushers, Class C's, Class B's and travel trailers and I am always amazed at how cool they are! Congratulations!!!
First, thanks TravelingWillow. I think we all have conversations with our chickens, though. Don't we? When my wife and/or I spend time with them we do voices for their responses to us. I'm sure our one neighbor that shares the fence behind the mini hen house barn thinks we're a little touched in the head. Hearing our conversations...like on meal worm Fridays...
"Who wants meal worms?"

( in fast high pitched mini mouse voices)

"Mealworms? I like mealworms"
"Mememememe! I want meal worms! She pecked at my poopies, she's not hunger!"
"That was poopies? It was so colorful"
"
I want some I want some! PECK Hey that's a finger not a meal worm I got jipped!"
"HEY! She got a HUGE one! Get her!" ( as they race around in circles )

OK, so...back to sanity. On the topic of broody hens, since I haven't seen our resident chicken pros toss in their 2 cents and it something I'd like to know more about too I went and did a search and got this. If Jeanie the Beauty even thinks about going broody again I'm trying it. Maybe it could help you

How to Break a Broody Hen
Ahaha! A method! I have a great crate - Martha is headed there when I get home from work tonight! Thank you!!!

What weed is this? Is it safe for my hens? I have a ton of it growing in my beds. Looks like it would be good for a game of tug o war.

Back
Top Bottom