FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

I recently moved my birds around because I needed to empty a couple of the coops to move the older chicks into and the younger chicks into others that the older chicks were in and since moving many of the birds around to different coops and pens some want to either lay on the floor of their coop or on the ground. I think they are rebelling from being moved around.
I think they are definitely creatures of habit! : )

Is Martha the pretty Wyandotte in your photo? She is so pretty and I hope you are lucky enough to get a couple more hens that look like her.
Yes, all of my hens are pretty and my rooster is AWESOME!!!! He is my avatar picture but my avatar picture does not show.

Yay, like hbeam said...pretty bird! The wife and I love wyandottes!
Thank you! My first Wyandottes. I had silkies, colorful bantams or RIR in the past.

Help we are looking for ideas: we want to build a fence for our cow and possibly the goats too. But we want the LGDs to be able to enter the field and leave to be able to protect the animals inside the pasture as well as in the front area of our property. We also have a large chicken coop in the area we are planning on fencing off. We don't want to limit either of the dogs to just one area. We like for them to be able to travel the entire property. However, we have been trying to brainstorm a passage or gate the dogs can use but the cow/potbelly pigs/ and perhaps goats cannot exit. Is this an impossible idea? Does such a design exist? Folks I need your brilliant ideas please!

Help we are looking for ideas: we want to build a fence for our cow and possibly the goats too. But we want the LGDs to be able to enter the field and leave to be able to protect the animals inside the pasture as well as in the front area of our property. We also have a large chicken coop in the area we are planning on fencing off. We don't want to limit either of the dogs to just one area. We like for them to be able to travel the entire property. However, we have been trying to brainstorm a passage or gate the dogs can use but the cow/potbelly pigs/ and perhaps goats cannot exit. Is this an impossible idea? Does such a design exist? Folks I need your brilliant ideas please!
A plywood or wood section with a large doggy door but..... goats and pigs will be in and out too.

Yay! We got our Barred Plymouth Rocks on Friday. They're sweeties and already proving to be the great egg layers they were promised to be.

We're still working on naming the rooster who is two years and five months and is very calm. We won't be naming the hens just to make the future dreaded culling process easier. They're all a year and five months, so they're in their peak of egg laying. The poor girls had laid an egg before we'd managed to get them out of the dog crate we brought them home in. They also decided that the floor was a better place to lay their egg instead of their new nest boxes, lol. I really can't blame them, as they're pretty lame boxes, but they're also only temporary until we can the stand for them built.

Cmon, as for your question, the lady doesn't know what line they are unfortunately. She explained that by "breeders" she means hens with a great hatch rate that she personally used as breeders. She said that she purchases her chicks from three different hatcheries in which she alternates between: Murry McMurry, Cackle Hatchery, and Orville Hatchery. Oh well, I guess. At least they're gene pool is varied, lol.

Maybe I'll post a picture or two later. You'll just have to excuse the "lovely" nest boxes. (x

A electric wire on the top of the fence is ok for horses and cattle, cows, etc. but most predators are diggers and those that go over a fence will be flyers and if they land on a top wire they will not get shocked as they need to be touching the ground to get a shock. The white looking rope along the bottom of my fence is actually poly rope wire. You can get it at Tractor Supply and most feed stores. I have forgotten to turn it off on occasions and touched the wire and it made my heart skip a few beats. I have also heard critters touch the wire and once they know it's there, they don't come back to test it out again. I have netting over the top of all of my pens to keep the hawks and aerial predators from getting into my pens.

I looked up the electric polyrope, and boy does that look easier than the wire I dealt with 20-30 years ago.
You are probably right about the wire being better along the bottom. Which means some serious brush/vine clearing and maintenance. The entire back fence is lined with wild grape and blackberry brambles. And it follows along a watercourse so that they are VIGOROUS.
Glyphosate is going to have to be my friend for a while. Cutting them back only seems to encourage the new growth.

First egg!!!!!!!!!FINALLY! I need help though. I don't know which one of my girls laid it. I have a buff orp and an Austrolorp/black star mix but the egg is weird. It has a Greenish spot on it.
Also, is it OK to eat this egg if it had been left out in the heat for a day or two?
sunlight

kitchen light

First egg!!!!!!!!!FINALLY! I need help though. I don't know which one of my girls laid it. I have a buff orp and an Austrolorp/black star mix but the egg is weird. It has a Greenish spot on it.
Also, is it OK to eat this egg if it had been left out in the heat for a day or two?sunlight
Break it open in a dish and see how it looks. I would eat it if it looks ok

Back
Top Bottom