FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

I have a chick sized crocheted chick and a plush marshmellow Peeps chick in there. Scared she will get stuck and suffocate if I put a big plush which may fall. My next idea is a hamster igloo house, but will she ever come out?? Also debating a stuffed tube sock sewn as a donut. Tried adjusting temps, tried a wash cloth. She eats and drinks well and other chicks are not mean to her despite her bantam size. They just seem annoyed and I feel obligated to give them a break by holding her a few times a day.
Awww. . . I had a talker out of my four chicks and she still makes a lot of noise. Maybe she needs to be a house chick? No, no, but it is sad and I hope you are able to sooth her. I have a brooder who only wants to brood but I live in West Palm. Let us know how it goes.

I have ice bottles in their water bucket, a pan of ice water to stand/drink from, complete shade and a water mister in the run...is there anything else I can do to cool these guys down?

I have ice bottles in their water bucket, a pan of ice water to stand/drink from, complete shade and a water mister in the run...is there anything else I can do to cool these guys down?

I believe the temp. I used to freeze ice blocks in plastic containers and put them in their water founts but that was a long time ago and I have since put auto waterers in the coops until I had a couple goof up and I had flooded coops so I moved all of the waterers to the outside of the coops. I run sprinklers in their pens to cool it off. They run in and out of the cool water from the sprinklers and scratch in the wet sand.

I believe the temp. I used to freeze ice blocks in plastic containers and put them in their water founts but that was a long time ago and I have since put auto waterers in the coops until I had a couple goof up and I had flooded coops so I moved all of the waterers to the outside of the coops. I run sprinklers in their pens to cool it off. They run in and out of the cool water from the sprinklers and scratch in the wet sand.
I just feel bad. Just the half hour I was out there cleaning and icing the water I almost past out. I can only imagine how hot they are. I put a pan out with ice and cold watermelon chunks but that only lasted about 5 min!

Quote:
Leave your misters on to cool the ground and they will eventually migrate to the ground cooled by the water. Mine do. At first they would run from them but now they go in and out of the sprinklers.

Heck, I even go in and go under them to cool off.

Hi everyone! Ended up with a precious silkie baby (we call her CiCi) whos age is uncertain but well under a month old. She cries and cries- which breaks my heart. Any suggestions as I can't constantly hold her and the other chicks are annoyed. Wish there was a local 'rent a broody'. PS husband lovingly calls her 'Gremlin'and says I can't hold her after midnight. Thanks!

We used stuffed animals...like this baby sitting duck, for one

We also saw a post about a warming tunnel...can't remember what they called it but thats what sticks to my memory. Its a piece of hardware clothe bent into a half moon, got a small towel over it, then a heating pad set on low or meduim,,,depends on what the baby chickies liked. Worked great for us, our R.I.R.s peeped alot! They loved it, Only peeped when they needed something after that. Like "hello, water is low mr." or "get some baby food in here!"

Back
Top Bottom