FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Hi Folks

I rescued 2 pekin drakes last night in St Johns County. They were spotted hiding under a truck in a small row of light industrial warehouses. They were very frightened. Very dirty. Very hungry and dehydrated. One has a nasty wound from round his left eye down his neck where he has clearly been attacked by another drake -- not the one he is with. The two drakes are tightly bonded and stand with their necks entwined when feeling threatened.

I have the two in quarantine inside my house. They can hear my ducks outside and are not at ease with them. My ducks are basically ignoring the new ducks as the new ducks don't answer back when mine call.

I am caring for them and feeding them up until they gain weight but need to rehome them, preferably as a pair when they are ready to move on.

Does anyone want two pekin drakes for pets? I think that they are 9 to 12 months old. The smaller one doesn't seem to be adult size, but it clearly grew up with the larger drake, that is full size but thin. Once they settle down and get used to me I will know whether they are friendly. They didn't fight me when I caught them -- just little soft ducks in my arms, but they are very wary today. I could only keep both of these drakes if I rehome one of my other drakes -- I have two muscovy drakes that are mean to the pekins at night in the coop. So my pekins have to sleep in dog crates in the coop, but I have limited room in there.

If you are interested in taking these two sweet boys, please let me know. I can deliver within 100 miles of St Augustine
After more than a week of feeding and caring for these two boys, I think that they are closer to 6 months old and just have their drake hormones coming in. The smaller of the two is molting and it is he that has lost his feathers in an arc from his left eye down his neck. These two tussle every morning when they get together in a temprary exercise pen on my patio. The smaller one often initiates the tussle and grabs hold of the feathers on the larger one. He doesn't seem as adept at pulling feathers out as the bigger one. But then the bigger one isn't molting. They are still close buddies and the tussling isn't aggressive fighting -- more like wrestling.

They are now interacting vocally with my pekins but they are not friendly towards my ducks. The smaller of the two makes threatening head movements when my ducks are outside the pen.

I think they will be ok to go to separate homes that have female ducks but not drakes.

10 month old Olive Egger cockerel looking for a new home with plenty of hens to love and protect.

His name is Ricotta and he’s a generous lover, TOO generous for my five girls.

Located in central Florida and willing to bring him to you. In fact, I would prefer that because I want to make sure he’s going to the right home.

We didn’t plan on having a rooster. Sexed day old pullets were ordered with the hope that’s what I’d receive. Then it took until 10 weeks old to realize he was, in fact, a cockerel because his pea comb is so small, it wasn’t until the saddle feathers started to appear. Ok, I live in the country, nothings stopping us from owning a rooster. This could work. I want it to work because at 10 weeks I’m definitely now attached and of course he had to be the most friendly and cuddly to this first time chicken owner.

We also didn’t want more than 6 chickens (I know, crazy, right?) so I’m not currently equipped to add enough girls to divide his attention. The coop/run is 80 sqft with an addition coming later this year, but I’m afraid my girls backs cannot wait that long, nor do I think it’ll be enough to add to the flock or enough room to get away from his advances. They only free range when I’m home. I’ve considered putting him in solidary confinement with the hope his hormones would eventually settle and the 6 of them could live in harmony, despite the hen:roo ratio being below the recommended. But unfortunately it’s now summer and we live in Florida. I don’t have enough shade trees to keep him under, I worry about the heat and him being alone for so long. A pen inside the current run isn’t very feasible either. The girls are all wearing saddles at this point. The last straw that led me to this decision is the other day when I realized the last two needed saddles – my poor Lavender Orpington. I had no idea she had a gash on her side that was HEALING over, or at least trying to. The repetitive mating and scraping isn’t helping. Her feathers cover the area but I just happened to be near her as she was preening and she parted her feathers just enough that I noticed something that didn’t look right. Further examination and I couldn’t believe my eyes! I never saw blood on her, she never looked or acted in pain. Which is expected because she’s a chicken.. but I’m with them so much I usually notice when any little thing is off.

He is half ameraucana so he has a beard and muff, although at the moment he is missing most of those feathers because the LO has plucked them out. Knowing what I know now, I don’t blame her for it! And he’s willing to lose a few feathers as long as she allows him to mate. So he’ll just sit there and let her pick. The other half of his breed I’m unsure of. Maybe Barred Rock. He’s quite large and heavy.

There hasn’t been a single egg song he didn’t sing along with.

When the pullets were coming to the point of lay, he made sure they knew where the boxes were and would cluck and fluff the straw. Then stand nearby until they were done. Still to this day he’ll occasionally sit nearby and purr when a box is occupied.

He’s extremely passionate about finding food for his girls. He tidbits with the loudest excitement, especially for peanuts. It’s a wonder he’s as big as he is because I rarely see him eating anything himself.

When the girls split up in groups he’ll run back and forth between them to make sure they’re staying safe.

He is constantly on the lookout for danger. To the point where I’ve nicknamed him Chicken Little. Growling and honking at every sight of cardinals, bluejays and airplanes. Hawks and eagles are spotted before they even come close. He hasn’t had to fight off any predators but he’s at the age his hormones are kicking in and gets a little testy with us from time to time. I have no doubt he would do his best to defend his ladies. I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that he has bit and kicked us, but not to the point of fearing he wouldn’t grow out of it. He’s usually happy to just be left alone to do chicken things, but every once in awhile he feels like testing his grits. Usually just runs then stops before making contact. He loves to fall asleep while being held and petted. He’s just figuring out his place in this world.

I hate that this day has come. I’m not one to “give up” on an animal. I figure out problems and adjust. Unfortunately I don’t see any other solution here and it breaks my heart. It’s not fair to him or the girls to continue on together. So I hope to find him a home with someone who will love him as much as I do but provide him with a better life than I can.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but he deserves a proper introduction. Please message me if you are looking for a new addition to your flock.

Attachments

• Ricotta1.jpg
    Ricotta1.jpg
    795.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Ricotta2.jpg
    Ricotta2.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Ricotta3.jpg
    Ricotta3.jpg
    844.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Ricotta4.jpg
    Ricotta4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
10 month old Olive Egger cockerel looking for a new home with plenty of hens to love and protect.

His name is Ricotta and he’s a generous lover, TOO generous for my five girls.

Located in central Florida and willing to bring him to you. In fact, I would prefer that because I want to make sure he’s going to the right home.

We didn’t plan on having a rooster. Sexed day old pullets were ordered with the hope that’s what I’d receive. Then it took until 10 weeks old to realize he was, in fact, a cockerel because his pea comb is so small, it wasn’t until the saddle feathers started to appear. Ok, I live in the country, nothings stopping us from owning a rooster. This could work. I want it to work because at 10 weeks I’m definitely now attached and of course he had to be the most friendly and cuddly to this first time chicken owner.

We also didn’t want more than 6 chickens (I know, crazy, right?) so I’m not currently equipped to add enough girls to divide his attention. The coop/run is 80 sqft with an addition coming later this year, but I’m afraid my girls backs cannot wait that long, nor do I think it’ll be enough to add to the flock or enough room to get away from his advances. They only free range when I’m home. I’ve considered putting him in solidary confinement with the hope his hormones would eventually settle and the 6 of them could live in harmony, despite the hen:roo ratio being below the recommended. But unfortunately it’s now summer and we live in Florida. I don’t have enough shade trees to keep him under, I worry about the heat and him being alone for so long. A pen inside the current run isn’t very feasible either. The girls are all wearing saddles at this point. The last straw that led me to this decision is the other day when I realized the last two needed saddles – my poor Lavender Orpington. I had no idea she had a gash on her side that was HEALING over, or at least trying to. The repetitive mating and scraping isn’t helping. Her feathers cover the area but I just happened to be near her as she was preening and she parted her feathers just enough that I noticed something that didn’t look right. Further examination and I couldn’t believe my eyes! I never saw blood on her, she never looked or acted in pain. Which is expected because she’s a chicken.. but I’m with them so much I usually notice when any little thing is off.

He is half ameraucana so he has a beard and muff, although at the moment he is missing most of those feathers because the LO has plucked them out. Knowing what I know now, I don’t blame her for it! And he’s willing to lose a few feathers as long as she allows him to mate. So he’ll just sit there and let her pick. The other half of his breed I’m unsure of. Maybe Barred Rock. He’s quite large and heavy.

There hasn’t been a single egg song he didn’t sing along with.

When the pullets were coming to the point of lay, he made sure they knew where the boxes were and would cluck and fluff the straw. Then stand nearby until they were done. Still to this day he’ll occasionally sit nearby and purr when a box is occupied.

He’s extremely passionate about finding food for his girls. He tidbits with the loudest excitement, especially for peanuts. It’s a wonder he’s as big as he is because I rarely see him eating anything himself.

When the girls split up in groups he’ll run back and forth between them to make sure they’re staying safe.

He is constantly on the lookout for danger. To the point where I’ve nicknamed him Chicken Little. Growling and honking at every sight of cardinals, bluejays and airplanes. Hawks and eagles are spotted before they even come close. He hasn’t had to fight off any predators but he’s at the age his hormones are kicking in and gets a little testy with us from time to time. I have no doubt he would do his best to defend his ladies. I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that he has bit and kicked us, but not to the point of fearing he wouldn’t grow out of it. He’s usually happy to just be left alone to do chicken things, but every once in awhile he feels like testing his grits. Usually just runs then stops before making contact. He loves to fall asleep while being held and petted. He’s just figuring out his place in this world.

I hate that this day has come. I’m not one to “give up” on an animal. I figure out problems and adjust. Unfortunately I don’t see any other solution here and it breaks my heart. It’s not fair to him or the girls to continue on together. So I hope to find him a home with someone who will love him as much as I do but provide him with a better life than I can.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but he deserves a proper introduction. Please message me if you are looking for a new addition to your flock.
He is gorgeous 😍
If I didn't have two roosters already, (and chicks about to hatch), I would be all over him. Best of luck finding him the best home

Hi, I ordered three straight run Muscovy (they are about three months old now) and had the bad luck of getting four males 😳 lol. I would like to rehome two of them to pet homes (to the same home, I don’t want to separate them). We are willing to drive up to an hour away for the right home. Their names are Louise and Butters, I am 80-95% sure they are males. Butters is the smallest so far at about nine pounds assuming my scale is correct, seems too large to be female. Louise has a bit of angel wing, I’ve been trying to keep it wrapped. I think Butters may have it as well, at first it was just drooping a bit but recently seems to be twisted so I’ve been trying to keep him wrapped as well, but he isn’t happy about it. Butters is also pretty bitey and he usually bites hard, but he’s an adorable duck like the rest of them. They will both let you pet them, but they aren’t fond of being picked up. They love bugs and I have even seen Louise eat an unfortunate tree frog faster than I could react. I’d like for wherever they go to lock them up in a predator proof pen or house at night. I know drakes aren’t as wanted as females and I am willing to wait as long as I need to find the right home for them. Thank you for reading this long post 😊, if you’re interested in giving these two a good home you can message me, I’m happy to answer any questions about them.

Attachments

• 075E8685-5D46-4E71-B156-B109C4BD388C.jpeg
    075E8685-5D46-4E71-B156-B109C4BD388C.jpeg
    509.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 7C9A8B3F-56FB-4F29-8E8D-63610ED062C4.jpeg
    7C9A8B3F-56FB-4F29-8E8D-63610ED062C4.jpeg
    513.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 34A2DC9C-F0F9-4177-BEE1-0E838B7F9C6C.jpeg
    34A2DC9C-F0F9-4177-BEE1-0E838B7F9C6C.jpeg
    955 KB · Views: 1
  • 5C76CDC7-531A-4065-AB77-39E898978251.jpeg
    5C76CDC7-531A-4065-AB77-39E898978251.jpeg
    883.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20A93E06-1A58-4B0B-AC61-01B71A2973A3.jpeg
    20A93E06-1A58-4B0B-AC61-01B71A2973A3.jpeg
    749.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 15E53410-3C98-4B79-AA65-3B992E75D209.jpeg
    15E53410-3C98-4B79-AA65-3B992E75D209.jpeg
    747.4 KB · Views: 3
  • FA9869E0-75D7-419C-A628-4303EC3847B7.jpeg
    FA9869E0-75D7-419C-A628-4303EC3847B7.jpeg
    762.4 KB · Views: 2
  • A0014572-D856-4894-BED9-B3BA1E809294.jpeg
    A0014572-D856-4894-BED9-B3BA1E809294.jpeg
    740.8 KB · Views: 2
Hi, I ordered three straight run Muscovy (they are about three months old now) and had the bad luck of getting four males 😳 lol. I would like to rehome two of them to pet homes (to the same home, I don’t want to separate them). We are willing to drive up to an hour away for the right home. Their names are Louise and Butters, I am 80-95% sure they are males. Butters is the smallest so far at about nine pounds assuming my scale is correct, seems too large to be female. Louise has a bit of angel wing, I’ve been trying to keep it wrapped. I think Butters may have it as well, at first it was just drooping a bit but recently seems to be twisted so I’ve been trying to keep him wrapped as well, but he isn’t happy about it. Butters is also pretty bitey and he usually bites hard, but he’s an adorable duck like the rest of them. They will both let you pet them, but they aren’t fond of being picked up. They love bugs and I have even seen Louise eat an unfortunate tree frog faster than I could react. I’d like for wherever they go to lock them up in a predator proof pen or house at night. I know drakes aren’t as wanted as females and I am willing to wait as long as I need to find the right home for them. Thank you for reading this long post 😊, if you’re interested in giving these two a good home you can message me, I’m happy to answer any questions about them.
Where are you located? I have recently started to adopt ducks that others can't keep anymore and I'm in deep trouble because I now want all the ducks. Lol picture of my current ones.
Muscovy is one of the breeds I have been wanting to try. Ours do free range during the day with a couple of geese but the ducks sleep in the coop with my chickens at night.

Attachments

• 20220615_161931.jpg
    20220615_161931.jpg
    1,014.8 KB · Views: 2
Hey all. Is there any reputable farms in central FL where i can get farm raised meats/vegetables/fruit? Id rather support a local business and know where my food comes from too. I’ve also been looking on FB. Thanks guys 🙂

Back
Top Bottom