FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Quote:
droolin.gif
Me, I could find all sorts of uses for 5' wide hardware cloth, wish I could afford to surround all my coops with it. I finally, after a few years and too many losses, added a layer of hardware cloth (I think it was 3' or 4'?) around the pen I made from our old trampoline. For economy I had originally surrounded the frame with 2" square welded wire. There was some tarp and pool fencing around the area where the roosts were, to make it more secure for the birds when they slept near the side. But somehow the predators enticed the birds to the other sides where they could be easily reached through the 2" square openings. One morning I had SIX young cockerels killed by having their dumb heads yanked through that wire. You'd think that after the first 2 or 3 birds that got killed like that the others would be a tad bit more wary... I happened to have some $$$ from selling chickens at the Fair, and treated ourselves to hardware cloth for that pen.

I got mine at Ace Hardware. I wonder if your local Ace could special order a roll that is the size you want. They're usually very helpful at those stores.

I haven't had any predator issues, yet, but lately there have been coyote sightings both north and south of me in Pinellas, and I just want to be on the safe side. We do have lots of raccoons, but they are apparently lazy city racoons who prefer garbage over live chickens. I think I am going to change my design a bit and use 4 foot pieces. It will work out just as well.

Coyotes in Pinellas???? We moved to Live Oak from Largo 8 years ago. With as built up as Pinellas is, I can't even imagine where they would hide out. Wow.

Unfortunately where I am now, rural area on 10 acres, we have coyotes, fox, raccoons, opossums, and hawks that we have to watch out for. Our most recent attack was a hawk last week. Got one of my buff girls. I interrupted before it could actually feed but she was dead and the ground was covered in feathers.
barnie.gif
sad.png

Does anyone know if there's anyone within an hour or two of me that has show quality Orpingtons for sale? Eggs, day olds or started birds is fine. I've just had my fill of shipped eggs for now.

Quote:
I haven't had any predator issues, yet, but lately there have been coyote sightings both north and south of me in Pinellas, and I just want to be on the safe side. We do have lots of raccoons, but they are apparently lazy city racoons who prefer garbage over live chickens. I think I am going to change my design a bit and use 4 foot pieces. It will work out just as well.

Coyotes in Pinellas???? We moved to Live Oak from Largo 8 years ago. With as built up as Pinellas is, I can't even imagine where they would hide out. Wow.

Unfortunately where I am now, rural area on 10 acres, we have coyotes, fox, raccoons, opossums, and hawks that we have to watch out for. Our most recent attack was a hawk last week. Got one of my buff girls. I interrupted before it could actually feed but she was dead and the ground was covered in feathers.
barnie.gif
sad.png

Does anyone know if there's anyone within an hour or two of me that has show quality Orpingtons for sale? Eggs, day olds or started birds is fine. I've just had my fill of shipped eggs for now.

yeah, they have them there. i have seen the footage & thought............wow! I remember in san diego we had tons come into our neighborhoods(rip smokey, the best coyote fighter who gave her life ripping one up) I was sooo scared cause at the time there had been some kids taken away in arizona or new mexico by coyoties. GOD, how scary..............

Quote:
sorry i missed you at the swap on the 26th. i had a vw event i had to go to. I helped organize that swap & was happy people came out. i have to talk to the owner cause there was an incident which i can not back if nobody did anything. i will be there this month so look for me at the info booth i am setting up.
i live in winter haven & debra lives in polk city. if you ever need anything just give us a hollar!!!

I've been in FL for 6 months and I need long hair help! My hair is dry and splitting. I can't put enough conditioner in it. I've never had trouble before I moved here! My hairdresser who has shorter hair did a brazillian blowout which was great for 2 months then back to trouble. Hubby says that the blowout can cause cancer and made me promise not to do it anymore. Plus that was expensive!
th.gif

Any ideas?

Quote:
I don't have hair trouble, besides frizzies!, but I received as a gift this "conditioning shampoo" called "Wen"
It doesn't strip oils out of your hair, which may help. Good luck!

Quote:
olive oil!!!

becareful with those brazillian blowouts. they will soon be off the market due to phamaldihide(spell butchering job on that one) i know many of us in the industry won't do them cause we are the ones who will have the worst effects by the chemicals in it. good hubby!!!!!

also if you can stand it mayo...yuck! i always loved bumble & bumble products!! expensive but true to what they claim the product does for the hair.

All those predators you named, the coyotes, fox, raccoons, opossums, and hawks, all are finding life to be as easy or better in the suburbs than in rural areas. One of the more attractive features is pet food being left out at night, and also garbage cans filled with food and covered loosely or not at all. And now there are more & more folks keeping delicious chickens in their suburban backyards!

Back
Top Bottom