FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

I've had both and I also prefer sand. My chickens do to they love to scratch and dust bathe in it. The few short cold snaps we have down here really don't seem to bother them but the heat on the other had is a whole nother story. I will say you have to develop a different way of cleaning. I do have a few tips if your interested.
I have been wanting to switch to sand, but didn't know how to clean it. Please share your tips.

cindy

itsjustjen
If you are looking for rare breeds contact the Henhouse hatchery in Callahan Skip rasies alot of heritage  and are breeds also Jordan-farm.com has them as well

Thanks I will!

Also ~ Just wanted to let everyone I found a solution to my feed tipping chicks. I found my old metal tray and they can't scratch the feed and haven't tipped it over yet! Almost 12 hrs and no mess :D

Quote:
Here's the picture I promised. You can do the same thing with any shaped hay fork. Just remember to get the small squared holes in the hardware cloth. It works just great. Don't throw out the sand with the poo. It's kind of like cleaning a cat litter box. LOL

Make sure you put a row of zip ties at the edge of the front of the hardware cloth so it doesn't bend. You can't see it that well because it's the same color as the fork.

Last edited:
Absolutely I would be interested. Right now I'm using a kitty pooper scooper but the sand is so moist yet that it's not filter through unless I whack it a few times.

I am back in chicken! After my first attempt at chicken herding ended with respiratory illness, I decided to hatch shipped eggs.

Here are some clear pics of each and every one! Their mug shots are below. I am once again a chicken warden.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-eggs-from-14-varieties-npip/40#post_9318950

These are show quality bantam cochins. In about 8 weeks I may be offering some roos if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the support in Florida!

xoxo Annmarie

Thanks I will!
Also ~ Just wanted to let everyone I found a solution to my feed tipping chicks. I found my old metal tray and they can't scratch the feed and haven't tipped it over yet! Almost 12 hrs and no mess :D

There is also Spring Hill Heritage Poultry. I have two of thier Buckeyes and one Russian Orloff. The Buckeyes are awesome. The Orloff is pretty. But that's about it.....:rolleyes:

I don't breed, but I just hatched Marradura Basques from Skyline Poultry, and have a pair if you are interested. I have a really nice roo that is just becoming such a looker.

Back
Top Bottom