FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Did anybody make it to this?
I sure wanted to go,  but a 4 hour drive was a bit too much for me this week.   How did it go? Did anyone get any good swappin done?

We made it, even though it tried to scare us off with rain early. Came home with 10 new feathered friends to add to our growing flock! It was great to see several of our local 4-Hers there with their critters and a 4-H club with a "petting zoo". It was a riot watching the little kids cuddling the bunnies and sweet birds, and trying to coax them to eat more treats.

Thanks to Tractor Supply Co for hosting the event, and donating to the 4-H club!:D

Did I mess up, or will my girls figure out the new coop? We just upgraded our three Production Reds and Red sex links to a bigger, nicer coop. The old coop had a roosting bar out in the open in front of four nesting boxes. The new coop has an enclosed roosting area, with a number of bars at different heights, and nesting box at the back. They have adapted to laying in the box, but they are not using the roosting area. The RIR's are sitting in the doorway, and the RSL's are sleeping on the ground in the run area.:/
Will they eventually figure out their new coop, or have I forever confused them? They have been in the new coop for four nighs already.

One thing I know, chickens DO NOT like change. I would also make sure you have plenty of ventilation in the new enclosed roost, especially since they are used to sleeping in a more open area. Chickens have a hard time with the summer heat, so they may just be finding the coolest areas.

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this group.....I live in Central Fl, Ocoee to be exact, which is the west side of Orlando. I joined this group
because I wanted to get a few chickens, but it looks like I am not zoned in this a part of Ocoee. I really enjoy reading
all the stories.

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this group.....I live in Central Fl, Ocoee to be exact, which is the west side of Orlando. I joined this group
because I wanted to get a few chickens, but it looks like I am not zoned in this a part of Ocoee. I really enjoy reading
all the stories.

welcome-byc.gif

Hi Everyone,

all the stories.

welcome-byc.gif
. Sorry you're not zoned for chickens. Good news is that in Florida, and the rest of the country, the laws are changing! I hope you eventually get to have chickens, in the meantime, plan your coop!

I got 3 new birds on Saturday- One laying hen (RIR) about 1.5y and 2 pullets (RIR & a Mix of some sort) about 3-4 months old. The hens were a mess- NO feathers on their rumps many missing tails, etc. The seller told me that he had big roosters in with the hens but he'd sold them last week and the hen's feathers were already growing back. So I chose to only take one of the older hens and the 2 younger pullets. I put them in chicken jail together and last night I came home to find the RIR pullet dead. She was pretty scuffed up with shavings & dirt piled on her. I didn't see any wounds or blood & they had clear eyes & noses and were bright when I got them so I don't know what might have happened. The RIR hen did not seem aggressive towards the smaller pullets though they would avoid her pretty well. I assume that she is the one who scratched up the dirt & shavings around the dead pullet & it died from stress or some unknown condition???

Would you guys call the seller & let him know? Would you perhaps request another bird? I was thinking of giving him the pullet back (since I don't know if the hen killed the other pullet I can't be sure that this one will be safe) and taking another hen instead so they can be in jail together. Does this sound reasonable? Should I have to pay him for another hen? Or would you expect to make an even trade for the birds? I'm just trying to decide what if anything I should do. I'd hate to break quarantine with either of the 2 remaining birds because as I said the hens look just awful & the pullet died mysteriously but I'd also feel really bad if I subjected the other pullet to the same fate....Any thoughts??

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome Crossgirl, you would think with all the open spaces and farms here in Ocoee that we would all be able
to have chickens, but we are not their just yet.

Back
Top Bottom