FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Bufo marinus is indeed a nasty invasive species - so clearing them out would indeed help the native populations of nearly everything. Just to let you know, Bufo is the genus name for all toads - you want to add the species name if you're talking about a specific one.

I'm thankful for one small favor - in that we don't have many marinus here - just our little Spadefoot toads - they're so cute - we raised some from tadpoles this summer.
Didn't know that and didn't have a species name....just blasted brown toad that is poisonous to my chickens! ...but we knew we were talking about the same one. Is that the only kind around Florida that has those glands on its back and that is so deadly to them?

Please don't kill the native frogs and toads on purpose, their tadpoles eat mosquito larvae and other aquatic insects as well as algae. Once they've come out of the water they'll eat mosquitoes, roaches, and any other bugs that might try to move in with your chickens at night. Given the opportunity, large Southern toads will munch on small rats and mice as well, as long as they can swallow it.

The Southern Toad, Bufo terrestris, looks similar to the Cane or Marine Toad, Bufo marinus, and does have parotoid glands (where toxin is produced as a defense.) However Southern Toads are native and are NOT toxic, their glands are much smaller and produce very little toxin within the secreted substance, although if you handle them you should wash your hands before touching your eyes or nose, it can be irritating to human mucous membranes or cause an allergic type of reaction, but the local birds usually eat them with no problems. If the toad secretes the substance from the glands it will taste nasty and most predators will spit it out, that is its only means of defense other than hop and hide or burrow.

Easiest way to tell the difference, bumps or ridges on top of the head, Southern Toad.
Bumps on the side of the head, behind the ear, on the shoulders, Cane Toad.
Here: http://www.wec.ufl.edu/extension/wildlife_info/frogstoads/rhinella_marina.php
At the bottom of the page there's a comparison between the two, but the large parotoid glands of the Cane Toad are more obvious in the photo at the top. Looks like the genus names have been changed recently, Anaxyrus terrestris and Rhinella marina.

Also: http://ufwildlife.ifas.ufl.edu/frogs/canetoad.shtml
Another comparison shot, also asking for reports of Cane Toad spotting outside of the range marked on the map. If you're outside of the zone, want to contribute to science, and help remove the invasive species introduced as pest control in sugar fields, you might want to consider contacting them.

Happy Hello from Palmetto Fl. We have +- 4 acres 1 BB Bronze jake. A truck load of chickens...Bantam and Standards and a batch of Jack Russell mixes and a suspicious yard dog that is a Lab/Husky mix. We moved here from the Outer Banks of NC and I am now loving life in the sun :) Please add me to your list on the west coast and central lists TYVM

glad u could join us flappinhappy
welcome-byc.gif

Anyone live near Tampa have a laying hen or two for sale? Also looking to buy a pure breed hen or pullet. I'd love for my kids to have the chance to enter a show. Thank you in advance.

Didn't know that and didn't have a species name....just blasted brown toad that is poisonous to my chickens! ...but we knew we were talking about the same one. Is that the only kind around Florida that has those glands on its back and that is so deadly to them?

All toads have glands behind their eyes that produce toxin - its really their only protection against predators because they aren't fast like most frogs. Most predators learn real quick that toads mean upset tummies - but dogs, being domestic, don't always get it since some of their "wild" traits have been dulled due to their domestication. I can only say in my case that my dogs have learned quick that if they put their mouth on a toad - its bad news - so they stopped - thank goodness.

The little Spadefoot toads, I seriously doubt, would be a problem for you - I've never seen them in mass numbers - I will post some links to Bufo Marinus for you - I don't live in North Florida but I think the little Spadefoots are native up there, so I'll post a link about them as well. At full size, the Spadefoots are smaller than a baseball, while the Marine toad (the invasive one) is about the size of a softball - if that helps. And the Oak Toad is smaller yet than the Spadefoot - about the size of a California avacado seed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Toad - that's the invasive guy.

Oh - I was wrong - our local toad population consists mostly of Oak Toads - not the Spadefoots - but Spadefoots are also native and common throughout Florida - here is a UF link to native species of toads and frogs of Florida - you might be able to recognize the guys that are giving you troubles.

http://www.wec.ufl.edu/extension/wildlife_info/frogstoads/image_index.php You'll notice that all the toads scientific names have been changed - but they all used to be Bufo something - no idea why they changed all their names ... but anyway - the toads are at the bottom of the page with some good photos so hopefully you can pinpoint what you've got around.

Best wishes for you and your amphibious neighbors!

I am very respectful of native species and won't even kill a spider if I find one indoors. However, Bufo marinus pose a serious risk to my dogs and my chickens, they are non-native or invasive and unless/until it becomes illegal, I will continue to kill every single one I find in the vicinity of my house or in front of the wheels of my car. I first came across Bufo marinus while on an exercise in Australia while I was serving in the Marine Corps. They were everywhere in the training area, and I later learned how horribly destructive they have been to the native wildlife there, as they have no natural predators, they are highly toxic as tadpoles, and as adults they produce a toxin that native Australian predatory species and domestic animals are vulnerable to. They are rapidly spreading from east to west across that continent and decimating native amphibian populations as they go. I am guessing they have had a similar, if not nearly as devastating impact here in the US. So, if you want to save a Bufo marinus, be my guest. You won't be doing the FL wildlife any favors.

All toads have glands behind their eyes that produce toxin - its really their only protection against predators because they aren't fast like most frogs. Most predators learn real quick that toads mean upset tummies - but dogs, being domestic, don't always get it since some of their "wild" traits have been dulled due to their domestication. I can only say in my case that my dogs have learned quick that if they put their mouth on a toad - its bad news - so they stopped - thank goodness.

The little Spadefoot toads, I seriously doubt, would be a problem for you - I've never seen them in mass numbers - I will post some links to Bufo Marinus for you - I don't live in North Florida but I think the little Spadefoots are native up there, so I'll post a link about them as well. At full size, the Spadefoots are smaller than a baseball, while the Marine toad (the invasive one) is about the size of a softball - if that helps. And the Oak Toad is smaller yet than the Spadefoot - about the size of a California avacado seed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Toad - that's the invasive guy.

Oh - I was wrong - our local toad population consists mostly of Oak Toads - not the Spadefoots - but Spadefoots are also native and common throughout Florida - here is a UF link to native species of toads and frogs of Florida - you might be able to recognize the guys that are giving you troubles.

http://www.wec.ufl.edu/extension/wildlife_info/frogstoads/image_index.php  You'll notice that all the toads scientific names have been changed - but they all used to be Bufo something - no idea why they changed all their names ... but anyway - the toads are at the bottom of the page with some good photos so hopefully you can pinpoint what you've got around.

Best wishes for you and your amphibious neighbors!
I would never had known about this new toad if I had not happen to see my s shamo cock grab it. Even then I thought it was a regular or native toad until I saw him staggering. I picked him up and realized his throat was swelling shut. I ran inside and pumped benadryl in him and sat and held his head up to keep as much airway open as possible. After I posted about it in the game thread I was told what it was and what it looked like. Later I happened again to see a hen grab one. I thought I would not be able to get it from her but she was actually trying to keep her chicks from getting it but she still was affected. Both lived but I am not sure they would have had I not seen it happen and dose them up. These are the ones I am going to do my best to wipe out. THey are new here.

Back
Top Bottom