Florida - Checking off the boxes, what have I missed??? (Other Business Owners, please!)

U_Stormcrow

Crossing the Road
Jun 7, 2020
North FL Panhandle Region / Wiregrass
OK, I'm here in FL, and focused on that - other State laws don't apply, let's keep the comments limited to that forum please.

My wife and I have a small homestead, and a lot of things in the air.

I've just filed with the Secretary of State to create an LLC.
As soon as its approved, I'll obtain an EIN from the IRS (not required - we have no employees, but it allows me to not publish my Social Security # on license applications)

I have an existing NPIP certification, will transfer it to the LLC when I'm recertified in 5 months, and in the interim, the LLC can buy live birds or hatching eggs from me, then resell them to the public, as needed. Looking into how to accelerate the transfer now.

As soon as the LLC is issued, I'll obtain a FL Limited Poultry and Egg Operation license in the business name as well. We have a small number of other potential future product streams in the exploratory stages (various fruits, goats, etc), and can readily obtain licensing for same if they look like they might operate annually on a "break even" or better basis, but aren't moving forward commercially with any of them this year.

I've checked my zoning, established my ledgers, pricing for "in kind" contributions and disbursements. Expect payment to be cash or barter, no bank account established yet (soon). Signage is being prepared, I've a business email address and sub-addresses (Name@BusinessName...), have started the process to validate the address with Google Maps (important out here in the middle of nowhere) and have begun to look into local low cost advertising (not a lot of product to sell, this isn't a "go big/go home" type of launch).

Have been giving away product to establish a potential client base and set expectations of product quality, expect to lose many of them when it costs real money, but have enough wanting to pay me now that I'm confident I can cover my feed costs, and the expense of licensing annually.

Feel like I'm missing something. Anyone been down this road recently that might suggest where I've made a wrong turn?

I'm sorry, what's your question? You really seem to have a handle on things.
Thanks! Trying to set up the shell of a business in FL through which I can handle Shell Egg plus Hatching Egg/Live Poultry sales with all appropriate licensing and zoning for the State of FL. Not to make a profit, but primarily to protect my wife and I (and our homestead) from liability should someone decide to blame us for a lack of sanitation on their part after a purchase of eggs/poultry from us.

I know a number of posters here are "in the business" and in FL, hoping they might note anything I've either forgotten, or about to step into unawares.

Thanks! Trying to set up the shell of a business in FL through which I can handle Shell Egg plus Hatching Egg/Live Poultry sales with all appropriate licensing and zoning for the State of FL. Not to make a profit, but primarily to protect my wife and I (and our homestead) from liability should someone decide to blame us for a lack of sanitation on their part after a purchase of eggs/poultry from us.

I know a number of posters here are "in the business" and in FL, hoping they might note anything I've either forgotten, or about to step into unawares.
I am not in the business, but I really think what you have done will cover your bases. Have you considered a consultation with a blood sucking lawyer? Sure, a couple hundred bucks, but worth it.

Found something I missed - needed a State of Florida Tax ID, which will take several days more, before I can get my limited poultry license, in addition to the LLC and the Federal EIN. Looking into local licensing (county) now, though we are rural enough its likely unneeded. I hope

Good catch. Sadly, I don't think any county is rural enough to not want their piece of the pie.
I am inclined to agree, but I'm so rural we finally got a web page for the county - and it runs like its being hosted on a PCjr via dial up. :( Also, it doesn't link to the tax collector, just the road crew, the library, and the dump.

Back
Top Bottom