Florida newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickiechik, Aug 16, 2011.

1. chickiechik

chickiechik Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Venice Florida
    Well after stalking posts and getting coop ideas, I finally joined BYC and couldn't be more eggcited. My name is Donna, and I am married to a very patient hubby named Bill. I work full-time and hubby takes care of the farm and grandchildren who live with us.

My neighbor and friends have chickens so I thought how kool would that be. Since we have room on our land I talked hubby into building us a coop. We got some marans and americana babies and he got the coop done just in time. There are 8 hens and 2 roos and are 20 weeks now and very happy in their 2 story condo. Well, as we all know, you can't stop there. We then got 8 more who are 9 weeks old. Uh oh, you can't stop there either. I decided to hatch my own. Out of 12 eggs my 1st hatch I got 5 babies which are 2 light sussex, 1 slw and 2 wheateon marans. My friend fell in love with silkies so she has 24 eggs in my bator now. She decided since I was hatching eggs for her she would buy me lavendar orpingtons eggs so we have a staggered hatch going with those as well. OH did I mention I also borrowed a friends Brinsea and have Swedish flower hen eggs getting ready to go into lockdown?

UMM I think I am addicted, and poor hubby is now starting to build another coop and some breeding pens. We also have 2 pekin ducks my grandaughter bought after we got our first chickies. Well they have their own room in the inn with a swimming pool and being in Florida, comes complete with a sauna. LOL! Yesterday and today we were left with a gift of an egg. How kool is that?

There is nothing better to end a day, than sitting outside watching the chicks play with a nice glass of wine! We live in PARADISE!!

I am looking forward to sharing my stories, advice and excitement, as well as reading about all my new BYC friends.

2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Welcome, fellow humidity & heat fighter! [​IMG]

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG] From NW PA! [​IMG]

4. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga.

[​IMG]

WELCOME ABOARD. [​IMG]

5. pooh731

pooh731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Hanford, ca
    [​IMG] from central ca

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

8. seclusionfarms

seclusionfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2011
    Lake City, Fl
    HI, im from north central florida and I'm new also. We found this site to be very informative of coop designs and used aspects from different coops that came together beautifully. It's nice to meet another newbie from florida [​IMG]

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas, chickiechick! Great to have you aboard. [​IMG] Love the varieties of chicks you are raising. And a glass of wine and watching chickens! Sound like a good evening to me! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by