FlossieMaye here. I'm new!

Flossiemaye

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 12, 2013
I'm a new member and very excited to be a part of such a wonderful site. I have started this adventure and lifestyle recently and my first three girls are Buff Orpingtons.

Thanks so much. I have a lot to learn. But I'm confident that nature will take its course!

Hello! So glad to hear you've joined! :) Welcome to BackYardChickens!!! This is a very good site. Ask any questions about chickens here and you'll get answers!!! :)

Ok. First question: how long can my girls' eggs sit in nesting box before they are unsafe to eat?

Hmmm...I'm not sure. I'd say, maybe 3 days? I'm not sure. That's just a guess. :) Maybe less than that :/ :p haha

Ok. First question: how long can my girls' eggs sit in nesting box before they are unsafe to eat?
welcome-byc.gif

I haven't been able to find an answer as to how long but I do know of a great test. It's called a float test. Fill a bowl with water and slowly place eggs one at a time in the water. If they float they are bad, if they stay on the bottom they are good. I live in Louisiana and have left eggs in the summer heat in the nesting boxes for up to 3 days at one point. After the float test all were still good and I ate them right away. I think there are too many things to consider to get an exact time table (ex: heat, humidity, size, location...). If you are unsure just do the test prior to eating and you will be good.

You can do what my aunt did and it's a lot simpler. She broke each egg into a cup or other small container before she added it to whatever she was cooking. If the egg is bad you can tell just by looking. If the egg didn't pass muster she dumped it down the sink. If it looked good it went into the bowl or pot.

Back
Top Bottom