OneFowlMama

Chirping
Sep 24, 2019
Australia
Hi everyone, I've followed this forum for a long time but I have a problem I can't seem to find a concrete answer to and would really appreciate some guidance!

I purchased a HHMD 56S Incubator and have recently put 13 fertile eggs in, they're currently on day 3 and I'm just really worried about the incubator seeming to have a mind of its own with its temperatures.

I have a tried and tested temperature and humidity gauge placed into it that gives off accurate readings, and it mostly seems to sit between the preferred 37.5 range but over the last 24 hours it keeps bouncing up to a maximum of 38.5 even with recalibrating the incubator every few hours. I have the room the incubator is in set to a constant temperature although it can also fluctuate but I don't think it's enough to really have an affect on the incubator itself and I honestly just don't know why this incubator keeps going up so high.

I'm worried that it might have stayed at 38.5 for a number of hours and the effect its had on my babies to be might have done damage in these early stages. The humidity bounces between the good range of 45-50 to as low as 25, I was out for a number of hours yesterday due to a family emergency and when I came back the temperature was back up to 38.5 and the humidity had sky-rocketed to 61, the total amount of hours I was gone was around 7 or 8 so I have no idea if the humidity got greater than that which also has me concerned. I don't think the temperature has gone any higher than 38.5 however.

Will these peaks in temperature affect my bubs? Is there anything else I can do other than to keep recalibrating every few hours? Has anyone else had this issue and if so did you still get a hatch? Thank you in advance for any guidance you can offer, as a first time incubating mama I feel like I'm in labour with an artificial womb I can't trust and it's doing my head in!

While it is a little high, it won't kill the eggs. You could even leave it that temp and still have a very good hatch (they will likely be early). If you can get it a little lower that would be better though.

While it is a little high, it won't kill the eggs. You could even leave it that temp and still have a very good hatch (they will likely be early). If you can get it a little lower that would be better though.

Thank you so much! That makes me feel alot better, I did order a better incubator last night as well to knock this problem hopefully on its head with future batches but I feel alot better thinking that the bubs could still be okay. It did go up to 39 yesterday which definitely scared me but I read online mortality isn't concrete confirmed until it hits 40. It's still daunting and nerve wracking but I won't know until I can candle I suppose, fingers and toes are crossed!

Update:

Today is day 7 and I just candle all my eggs, I have 6 speckled sussex eggs, 6 silver spangled Hamburg eggs and 1 guinea fowl egg found from our flock.

Of the 6 speckled sussex eggs 5 have little beans growing inside, all looking healthy and strong! One egg has no signs of veining so I presume it was either unfertilised or didn't make it in the first 76 hours. One egg also looked like it had possible blood ringing happening on one side, but all other veins look okay and little bub was moving so I'm assuming it's just a thick vein or a collection of them. It still could turn into a blood ring but it's too early to tell yet.

The silver spangled Hamburg eggs have dark shells which make candling difficult (especially since I'm only able to use my phones torch at the moment!) but in one of the lighter shelled eggs I could see veins and a little bub moving, I'll have to wait until my actual candler comes or the bubs grow bigger to see the other ones properly, whichever happens first.

The one guinea egg also has too thick of a shell to positively see into. But, if the sussex eggs are anything to go by, I think things will be fine! The temp did rise to 39° before we were hit by a storm, and the humidity also rose up into the 60s for two days. The last two days I've been keeping the humidity in the 30-40 range and all the air sacs look to be the appropriate size.

Will update when I'm able to!

Back
Top Bottom