Fluffed up, lethargic chickens with watery stool

kcal

Chirping
Apr 6, 2021
NW Illinois
Can anyone provide any insight on what could be going on with two of my chickens? This started a day ago - yesterday one of my black australorps was lethargic and standing, not moving, with her eyes closed. She didn’t come running when I came over which is unusual for any of my chickens, and she had very watery stool (normal color, just extremely watery). It was late afternoon, so I watched her for a bit. She went to roost like normal so I let her be for the night. This morning she had improved, but about 2 hours later was doing the same thing and just standing by the water and drinking a TON. She would perk up and scratch around with the others every once in awhile, but would then go back to stand by the water with her eyes closed. I also noticed another one has become a little lethargic as well with watery stool. I brought them both into a crate in the garage. One of them had a pinkish/white stringy substance in her poop, so I’m wondering if it’s worms?
I have SafeGuard goat dewormer I can administer, just need to see how much and how to give it since right now I haven’t seen either of them drink. They are also both very “puffed up”, especially at their chests. It’s a bit cooler today, but still mid 40’s F so I don’t think they’re fluffed up because of the cold.

Photo of them attached - please help! I’m worried about my girls, any advice is much appreciated.

Attachments

• 75726834-F426-481A-B64E-A5CCC58CEE3E.jpeg
    75726834-F426-481A-B64E-A5CCC58CEE3E.jpeg
    783.4 KB · Views: 73
Keep reposting if no one shows up. Folks are at work right now, but there is are many that can help.

SafeGuard dosage is 0.25 ml per pound give orally for 5 straight days. That will treat most all chicken worms except tapeworms. You can also get some droppings checked by your vet to look for coccidiosis and worms.

How are their crops looking? Check to see if they are empty or full, hard, doughy, or puffy. Recheck in the early morning to make sure they are emptying overnight.

SafeGuard dosage is 0.25 ml per pound give orally for 5 straight days. That will treat most all chicken worms except tapeworms. You can also get some droppings checked by your vet to look for coccidiosis and worms.

How are their crops looking? Check to see if they are empty or full, hard, doughy, or puffy. Recheck in the early morning to make sure they are emptying overnight.
Right now our regular vet is gone on vacation, and the only alternative is a vet whose prices are almost double. I have some Corid on hand and can use it if needed. I tried to give them some SafeGuard, but they weren’t having it so I will try again this evening when my husband can help me - I am in the middle of a rheumatoid arthritis flare, so trying to hold them and give the medicine at the same time is proving to be difficult.

I have just recently started learning more about crops. Both of them have full crops right now, but I have not restricted access to food or water. One’s seems more firm than the other. The one whose crop is not as firm feels almost water-balloon like. I mixed some of their layer crumbles with water to make a mash. They haven’t eaten much, but I can tell they ate some while I was in the house with my toddler. I can take away food and water tonight and check them again early tomorrow morning.

Crop disorders can be common especially in older hens, and can be related to a reproductive disorder. A large puffy crop could be a sign of a sour crop or a slow crop. A huge crop that never empties could be a pendulous crop. Worms can sometimes be a cause of crop problems. Here is some info on crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

https://the-chicken-chick.com/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour/
All of my girls are only a year old - I got them last March. I did wonder if sour crop could be an issue because when I first brought them into the garage and was holding one, I noticed an odor even though neither of them had gone poo in the crate yet or had any on their feet. I did do a supervised free range with them for the first time on Tuesday. Perhaps they ate something they shouldn’t have and now it’s caused a crop issue. Can impacted or sour crop cause the watery stool?
I’ll monitor some more and try some of the things in the article you included. Thank you for your help

Back
Top Bottom