Fluffy back / missing feathers?

Sunshade82

Songster
Sep 10, 2020
SW Utah
Hi all one of my 10 month old pullets has a spot on her back near the tail where it looks like the feathers are broken off and her underfluff is showing. She’s the only one like this.
My welsummer’s stats:
-She is eating and drinking fine.
-She is not laying yet but spends time in the nesting box practicing every day.
- her vent looks fine (a little white and poppy residue on her super fluffy feathers under vent..)
- vent/under wings clear for lice
- roost at night clear for mites
-she’s bottom rung in the chicken hierarchy but no fighting that I’ve seen
(we have no rooster btw)
B5EE4EBE-5E00-4E18-A801-4223E224CD9A.jpeg
634E12AB-118B-4563-AEEC-1E1979B7CED4.jpeg

Are all of your birds 10 months old? Are you sure you have no boy? (Sorry, have to ask, many don't really know how to tell). She may be getting feather picked, which often happens on the roosts, or you may have a dominant girl who is practicing mounting behaviour. Sometimes over crowding or boredom are the cause. Do some observing, see if you see anything going on, especially during the nightly going to bed time.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Today my little Welsummer died. The camera caught it when it happened but the sun was hitting the fence so it wasn’t really clear. From what I can tell, she all of a sudden started flapping and making noises while the other 5 took off running. No one was near her when it started. She flapped and squawked for about 10 seconds then keeled over. I got home a few minutes later and she was stretched out with her legs super straight. I looked everywhere and didn’t see any wounds at all. She wasn’t acting sick today either...eating and chatting as normal.
Maybe a heart attack? Weird for a 10 month old though. Very sad at our house today. She was my daughters favorite. 😢

I’d say it’s just a fault with some of their feathers. one of my chickens had something similar, but after they moulted it fell off and went away. I am very interested in what courses it. It is no need for concern though.

It doesn't look like molt to me. Most birds will molt late summer, fall, some not til winter. It can vary some. Usually they don't start the annual molt til they are about 18 months old, but some will do it younger. There is no difference in summer or winter plummage, it's just a one year replacement of old, worn feathers.

Redoing your roosts may help. Often more dominant birds will demand the higher ones. Depending on your set up maybe you can add a roost that is equal height but on the opposite side of the coop. She may just be a more submissive bird. You may need to add run space also, with more things for the lower birds to hide behind (but not get cornered behind) or outside roosts and places they can get up and away. More space is always better than less. One dominant bird can make a space too small. The actual behaviour of the birds is a much better indicator of enough space than any estimate on paper. Every group of birds is different.

You can try giving them some protein heavy treats, like mealworms, too. Feather picking can be caused by low protein, and some extra will also help your girl with her lost ones.
Thanks my girls don’t like mealworms but they love scrambled eggs. Is that enough protein or should I get a feather fixer supplement?

I am so sorry for your loss :(
It is very strange for a 10 month old chick to die all of a sudden. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable then myself can help. Again sorry for your loss, may she Rest In Peace.

Are all of your birds 10 months old? Are you sure you have no boy? (Sorry, have to ask, many don't really know how to tell). She may be getting feather picked, which often happens on the roosts, or you may have a dominant girl who is practicing mounting behaviour. Sometimes over crowding or boredom are the cause. Do some observing, see if you see anything going on, especially during the nightly going to bed time.
I’ve had them since day 3 so for sure on the age. I’ve seen the other 5 lay eggs and no one has saddle feathers, spurs or pointed feathers near their necks..
I wondered about feather picking...it doesn’t happen during the day besides an occasional peck when one of the dominant girls reminds her that they get first dibs on things.
sometimes at night I hear them squabble a little while settling down. I have a 4ft wide ladder type roost and 3 different levels for them to roost on. All 6 of them cram onto the highest roost and it’s a tight fit. I was planning on adding on another high roost for summer so they have breathing room. Maybe I’ll do it this week and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom