Fluffy Butt issues

Ruralhideaway

Crowing
6 Years
Sep 21, 2017
Upstate NY
My super docile friendly(bullied a bit) splash marans pullet(laying) is currently in the inside brooder after a bath.

She's got a really fluffy butt and is prone to getting caked up. Over the winter I got into the habit of trimming her and that seemed to be working fine. Today she got up in my face while I was fixing some hardware cloth and I didn't like the way she smelled so I brought her in.

All cleaned up she's happily preening in front of a blow dryer. I'm not sure where so many butt feathers went but she's got tons of pokey pin feathers under there that are catching the poop. Any tips on keeping her clean until they crack open? Or should I trim the pins back and maybe Blue Cote her pink skin? When she's dry things are much more hidden but there was a bunch of feathers in the bucket after soaking. Second pic she's standing in front of the blow dryer.

Thank you.
20180417_114000.jpg

20180417_114728.jpg

I can see you are treating your hens like they are attending a spa. :thumbsup
My thought actually goes into a different direction. Is the feed or treats you give causing the stools to be sticky and soft. Often times peeps think "the more protein ,,,, the better" Too much of a good thing usually never is all that good. I am not saying that it is in your case. Just wondering what protein percentage you are feeding. You can experiment by changing that. If you are using 16% layer, or 18% Alflock, I don't think you are overdoing it . There are higher protein feeds out there and for some, it works well for their chickens production.
Too much protein seems to cause smelly droppings as well as soft/runny/sticky. If the gumdrops are like they should be, then they drop without soiling the feathers.
WISHING YOU BEST...... :highfive:

I can see you are treating your hens like they are attending a spa. :thumbsup
My thought actually goes into a different direction. Is the feed or treats you give causing the stools to be sticky and soft. Often times peeps think "the more protein ,,,, the better" Too much of a good thing usually never is all that good. I am not saying that it is in your case. Just wondering what protein percentage you are feeding. You can experiment by changing that. If you are using 16% layer, or 18% Alflock, I don't think you are overdoing it . There are higher protein feeds out there and for some, it works well for their chickens production.
Too much protein seems to cause smelly droppings as well as soft/runny/sticky. If the gumdrops are like they should be, then they drop without soiling the feathers.
WISHING YOU BEST...... :highfive:
I do feed all flock to suit their rooster company as well. 20% I believe, fermented and dry. Many have gumdrops regularly. She sleeps on the roost board not the roost so I bet that's why.

Back
Top Bottom