Fluid from nostrils.... Need Advice!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eeiko321, Nov 30, 2008.

1. eeiko321

eeiko321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    hi there

i just bought a Hen today...for cheap

an Isa brown.... ive noticed that it has moisture coming out of its nostrils............

what would that be?.... a chicken flu?

or could it be something more major?

thankyou all

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If it's just a bit of clear fluid, could be she just took a drink and got some in the nostrils. OR, it coudl be someone sold you a very sick bird. Cant say without more information. I hope she is quarantined from the rest of the flock.

3. eeiko321

eeiko321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Quote:well its clear....
    she doesnt sneeze
    (not that i noticed)

and she has like dirt around the nostril/beak.

perhaps that is the constant fluid that is trickling and when she plays in the dirt...the dirt is covering the beak?

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    the move is very stressful on a bird... even a change in feed can be enormously stressful and this expresses itself physiologically.
    Separate your bird to a nice clean warm temp stabe and draft free area. Give her three drops of Polyvisol Enfamil once a day in beak for a week then taper off the next (this is a liquid childrens A-B-D vitamin ) ... vit A deficiency is often involved in "respriatory" ailments and shows this symptom... You can also offer her a live culture yogurt free choice (plain not flavored)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by