Fluid in lungs dying

jeeparoo98

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2015
Fairmont, WV
I have been nursing my chicken I have had about 7 weeks now. The past 2 weeks she has gone down hill and gone down hill and is skin and bones I have given her penicillin shots been force feeding her not getting it into her air ways. And as of yesterday she has been unable to stand. I have been emptying what is left over in her crop everyday it's very sour smelling each time. Now she's so weak she can't even hold her Wings up and laying to the side. She just started today gasping for air. And I hear fluid sound I feel like this is her final stage of dying and I am heart broken. But I needed to know is that a sign of fluid in lungs the way she is gasping? She is not alert and her comb and wattles are now deep purple have been for 3 days now. 2 weeks ago they were pail in color. I have read and looked up every possible sickness and issue and have not came to any conclusions. I have no history of her past until I found her. She has never once laid an egg. I'm just so sad and worried about this girl.

sour crop would be the smell you are smelling, that is one possibility- this is what i do for sour crop - the pic on the left you can get the herb and measure it, i don't think you have time for mail order the product on the left- as weak as she is, i'd put it in a little water or egg yolk and drip it on her beak so she can drink it, since she probably won't eat

if she had respiratory-i'd get her on tylan-50 .50 cc 2 x day

a vet is not an option?

Last edited:
A vet is really not an option. I did give her Tylan when I first brought her in. It cleared up any chest stuff at the time. The fluid sound just stared today.

I'm pretty sure she is in her final hours. :( she has gotten colder and gasping more less and and less breaths. I have her wrapped in a blanket holding her to try and keep her warm. At this point all I can do is comfort her. :(

hardest part with them when you know they are going- hold her and love her- and you have done so much to help her! when I use tylan i use .5 cc 2 day

She passed away a few hours later after my post. I sat with her from 1pm to 6pm when she took her last breath. It was heart breaking but I'm glad she's not suffering anymore. I wish I could have got to know her better. We only ad her a about 6 or 7 weeks.

hugs.gif
hit.gif
Aw, so sorry... It's amazing how attached you can get to chickens.

We're dealing with gurgling noises in one hen... Is there anything we can do to help her be comfortable?

She had sour crop, then seemed to be over it, then her abdomen was really swollen, and last night we drained her.

I have been nursing my chicken I have had about 7 weeks now. The past 2 weeks she has gone down hill and gone down hill and is skin and bones I have given her penicillin shots been force feeding her not getting it into her air ways. And as of yesterday she has been unable to stand. I have been emptying what is left over in her crop everyday it's very sour smelling each time. Now she's so weak she can't even hold her Wings up and laying to the side. She just started today gasping for air. And I hear fluid sound I feel like this is her final stage of dying and I am heart broken. But I needed to know is that a sign of fluid in lungs the way she is gasping? She is not alert and her comb and wattles are now deep purple have been for 3 days now. 2 weeks ago they were pail in color. I have read and looked up every possible sickness and issue and have not came to any conclusions. I have no history of her past until I found her. She has never once laid an egg. I'm just so sad and worried about this girl.
I'm so sorry to hear that I'm going through the same thing. I have done exactly what you have done as well and I'm devastated. I'm nursing her as well. Wondering if I should put her down now.

Back
Top Bottom