Fluid on my Roosters Hock

jenandkaden

Hatching
Dec 27, 2021
Help! Any ideas of how to help my rooster would be appreciated. A few months ago my rooster must have injured himself and had bumblefoot. I went ahead and got rid of the area and treated it and it healed. We had him in a crate during that time. I put him back out with the flock and noticed he was lame again. Now it is the other leg that is bothering him and I noticed fluid filled bumps on his hock area. Any ideas to best help him. Do I drain them? Thanks in advance.
20211226_182612.jpg

Poor guy. Is he limping? I am not in favor of draining a blister, especially in a joint, since there is serious risk of infection to the bones. However, if you have a regular or avian vet who would be willing to take a needle and draw fluid for a culture and sensitivity, that would tell if it is a bacterial or viral infection. In chickens, mycoplasma synovitis is a bacterial joint infection that causes swollen hocks and ankles. Your vet then might prescribe an antibiotic that would treat the infection. In the meantime, I would force him to rest the leg, not jumping up and down to roost, and see if he recovers. An anti-inflammatory medicine, such as meloxicam or aspirin might help.

Back
Top Bottom