Flushing the crop?

Loona

Songster
Oct 2, 2015
I talked to a few vets yesterday to see what they do for impacted crops. The Avian vet did the incision to clean the crop out. That w/a 2 day stay was 1000 dollars. Then got a call back from a farm vet who knew chickens very well, experienced and he suggested to flush it out. Another called later in the evening and said they flush it out. Both do this for about 150 bucks, so I'm going to try it.

Last night I tube fed Olga some watered down pellet mixture. This morning her poop was a solid and 'gorgeous'. So this is telling me that food IS bypassing this 'ball of dough' and nourishing her.
I took a pic of it, and you can see one piece of grass sticking out. So now I know it must've started when I put her outside during that warm spell 2-3 weeks ago. She must've eaten dead grass and dirt and it just didn't flush. It also coincides w/when the watery poops started. Which would've been about 1-2 weeks ago. I thought she was just going through a "funk" during her molt.

I've tried tubing water to break it up, which I thought was going to work. It's just making lots of watery poops and the doughy ball just isn't budging. It drains the liquid only. I also tube the baking soda mixture. I thought I could feel a nice break up in there but again, the liquid goes through and the ball is left behind.

So has anyone ever had this done to their hen? The vet said it's kinda like tubing but more forceful. What does this mean??? Do they suck the contents out? Or flush it to come up and out the mouth??? Does anyone have experience here or know? She has an appt at 11. It does require a bit of sedation. She said they put a tube in the trachea to avoid anything getting in there. Anybody know what I should expect and is this helpful??? Thank you!!

You can see a piece of old grass sticking out on the left. I pulled it out, it's prob a piece of the old grass from being in the chicken tractor. It's all very short grass, but it's dead grass. I'm sighing and wishing I hadn't put her in it :(
olgas morning poop 1:31:18.jpeg

I talked to a few vets yesterday to see what they do for impacted crops. The Avian vet did the incision to clean the crop out. That w/a 2 day stay was 1000 dollars. Then got a call back from a farm vet who knew chickens very well, experienced and he suggested to flush it out. Another called later in the evening and said they flush it out. Both do this for about 150 bucks, so I'm going to try it.

Last night I tube fed Olga some watered down pellet mixture. This morning her poop was a solid and 'gorgeous'. So this is telling me that food IS bypassing this 'ball of dough' and nourishing her.
I took a pic of it, and you can see one piece of grass sticking out. So now I know it must've started when I put her outside during that warm spell 2-3 weeks ago. She must've eaten dead grass and dirt and it just didn't flush. It also coincides w/when the watery poops started. Which would've been about 1-2 weeks ago. I thought she was just going through a "funk" during her molt.

I've tried tubing water to break it up, which I thought was going to work. It's just making lots of watery poops and the doughy ball just isn't budging. It drains the liquid only. I also tube the baking soda mixture. I thought I could feel a nice break up in there but again, the liquid goes through and the ball is left behind.

So has anyone ever had this done to their hen? The vet said it's kinda like tubing but more forceful. What does this mean??? Do they suck the contents out? Or flush it to come up and out the mouth??? Does anyone have experience here or know? She has an appt at 11. It does require a bit of sedation. She said they put a tube in the trachea to avoid anything getting in there. Anybody know what I should expect and is this helpful??? Thank you!!
I’d love to hear how this turned out. I have a hen who was stressed and ate a bunch of straw. Talking about surgery with the vet today. She’s not familiar with the flush.

I’d love to hear how this turned out. I have a hen who was stressed and ate a bunch of straw. Talking about surgery with the vet today. She’s not familiar with the flush.
If you start your own thread you will get much more help!😉 There are many helpful people on here that are familiar with what to do in these situations! They have even helped me!😊 The OP hasn’t been on for 2 years.😉

Back
Top Bottom