Fly Control

Blondie

Songster
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Sharpsburg, Georgia
My Coop
My Coop
In addition to using DE and Sweet PDZ, I found another CHEEP fly control. I thought it was an old wives tale, but the convienence store down the street had it and said it works. I read it on here (or was it the goat forum????). Anyway try it:

Fill a baggie with water, add a few pennies, close the zip lock. Hang it up. It really works. I couldn't believe it. I have one in the chicken coop, two in the goat barn.

Here's the one in the chicken house with a picture of Boots, my Blue Cochin. The baggie is stapled to the frame at the top.

DSC01036.jpg

Here's a close up of the one in the barn:

DSC01035.jpg

I wonder how in the world it works. Not saying it doesn't; I'm gonna go put one out in just a minute! Always just have to question the science behind why it works!
lol.png

Hmmmmmm, sounds like a good cheep thing to try. We are haveing BAD times with black flys. OUCH they hurt when they bite. I am worried about the chickens....I hear a good swarm of black flies can kill a chicken.? I thought they would eat them? Gonna hang a few of those tomorrow.
fl.gif
Hope it works!
How many do you need for how small a space? I know DH will think I have really lost it now!
lau.gif

I don't remember where- either Costa Rica or Puerto Rico... anyway, I used to live in both (at different times, of course) and in one of those places, in all the produce sections they used to hang bags of water just like that. In the tourist areas, they would put a plastic goldfish inside each bag to cut down on annoying tourist questions, but in the rural areas they would just hang the bag, water, and penny.

I know it is bizarre, but it seemed to work to keep flies off the produce. I think it was Costa Rica. As a scientist myself, I suspect it has something to do with refracting light. But that is a wild guess.

-MTchick

Last edited:
Hey wild or not. It IS the best explaination I have heard thus far!!!
I am just baffled as to the explaination of why this works.
I did however (explaination or not)- hang my bags today
big_smile.png

fl.gif

What does it do? KILL the flies, or keep them frightened away? Do you now find dead flies laying around, or just less flies in the area, period?

Back
Top Bottom