Fly Control

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Blondie, May 29, 2007.

1. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

In addition to using DE and Sweet PDZ, I found another CHEEP fly control. I thought it was an old wives tale, but the convienence store down the street had it and said it works. I read it on here (or was it the goat forum????). Anyway try it:

Fill a baggie with water, add a few pennies, close the zip lock. Hang it up. It really works. I couldn't believe it. I have one in the chicken coop, two in the goat barn.

Here's the one in the chicken house with a picture of Boots, my Blue Cochin. The baggie is stapled to the frame at the top.

[​IMG]

Here's a close up of the one in the barn:

[​IMG]

2. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    I wonder how in the world it works. Not saying it doesn't; I'm gonna go put one out in just a minute! Always just have to question the science behind why it works! [​IMG]

3. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    I'll give that a try, the price is right, Thanks

4. wlz77

wlz77 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2007
    PA
    ill try it but when do you change the bags?

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Hmmmmmm, sounds like a good cheep thing to try. We are haveing BAD times with black flys. OUCH they hurt when they bite. I am worried about the chickens....I hear a good swarm of black flies can kill a chicken.? I thought they would eat them? Gonna hang a few of those tomorrow. [​IMG] Hope it works!
    How many do you need for how small a space? I know DH will think I have really lost it now! [​IMG]

6. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    I'm trying it too, and I agree, DH thought I was NUTS! NOW HE KNOWS I'm NUT's! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    I don't remember where- either Costa Rica or Puerto Rico... anyway, I used to live in both (at different times, of course) and in one of those places, in all the produce sections they used to hang bags of water just like that. In the tourist areas, they would put a plastic goldfish inside each bag to cut down on annoying tourist questions, but in the rural areas they would just hang the bag, water, and penny.

I know it is bizarre, but it seemed to work to keep flies off the produce. I think it was Costa Rica. As a scientist myself, I suspect it has something to do with refracting light. But that is a wild guess.

-MTchick

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  8. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    Hey wild or not. It IS the best explaination I have heard thus far!!!
    I am just baffled as to the explaination of why this works.
    I did however (explaination or not)- hang my bags today [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    What does it do? KILL the flies, or keep them frightened away? Do you now find dead flies laying around, or just less flies in the area, period?

10. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Well, I hung mine today....Oh I hope this works! [​IMG] With 4 cornishX in the coop.....flys are terrible...those little poopers are so stinky!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by