"Fly in only" coops to prevent predators?

raterus

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 2, 2013
I'm going to be building a chicken coop soon to replace the one I have. My chickens are completely free-range during the day, and come back at night.

Right now, I have a door on their run I open and close for nights. I was wondering if anyone has advice on constructing an entrance in such a way the chickens fly in, possibly through a series of perches. It would be designed in such a way to keep predators out, but my chickens can come/go as they please.

Has anyone attempted this and having success with a particular design, or know where I can read more about something like this?

Thanks,
Michael

I dont know anyone who has tried this but I highly doubt it's possible... Chickens are not very agile/graceful while hawks and raptors are and are smaller... Also a raccoon doesn't have a collar bone and can pretty much collapse themselves to make them fit through 2" places. It would be really hard to get it where raccoons cant get through because theyre also pretty good with roosts and stuff... I don't know I think it might just be easier and safer to just make a door (maybe automatic?) However if you really want to try it keep me updated! :)

As heavy as mature chickens are, I doubt that you would be successful in trying to get them to fly anywhere. Mine fly down from the roost, down from the porch, but jump up to the porch on the coop. About 24 inches off the ground to their porch is within their abilities to jump and flap.

A door and good fencing seem like a more promising project.

Chris

I'm going to be building a chicken coop soon to replace the one I have. My chickens are completely free-range during the day, and come back at night.

Right now, I have a door on their run I open and close for nights. I was wondering if anyone has advice on constructing an entrance in such a way the chickens fly in, possibly through a series of perches. It would be designed in such a way to keep predators out, but my chickens can come/go as they please.

Has anyone attempted this and having success with a particular design, or know where I can read more about something like this?

Thanks,
Michael
You could try a hop of door or some type of obstucted entrance but a fly up area would not be ideal. My run/coop are with goats in a perimeter fenced area. It is not perfect but pretty close to a "come/go as you please" set-up.
wink.png

Run door out to free range area. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom