Fly strike and necrotic tissue

With a chicken who is not eating I would offer moistened chicken feed, then scrambled egg bits, canned cat or dog food, tuna, or salmon, or ground beef. Of course once she starts eating, switch back to chicken feed, and maybe an occasional treat of egg. Add water to any food right now to get more into her. Poultry NutriDrench 2 ml orally or other rescue remedy would be good now.

I am not a vet but retired nurse. I’m cautiously going to suggest a couple of things and give my humble opinion. I noticed that you said there is health tissue and the area is more superficial than you had thought. I’ve had hospice pt that had mouth ca and I was called to the home because she had maggots coming out of wound that ca had eaten thru cheek. The doc. Ordered us to flush area from inside mouth towards outside. Then take a water pic and carefully and as gently as we were able to debrief the wound as much as we could without causing damage to the healthy skin.
Another thing we would use was a blow dryer on warm to dry area and encourage circulation to healthy skin( just be careful of temp. So you don’t injure the poor featherbaby. These suggestions are taken from care of human patients as I stated before im not a vet but just trying to be helpful . I’m hoping you can take some of what I’ve used n it possibly be helpful. I will keep you and your featherbaby in my prayers. Please let us know how she is doing.
As what the other smiya0126 had suggested, when your able post pic so we can get a better idea of what your dealing with. 🙏

Sorry the photos are graphic. The wetness is from the vetericyn spray not water. I had bathed, saline rinse, blowdried then applied the vetericyn. The maggot population is very reduced. With the most recent bath and got about 5 total off her. I was able to give more electrolytes but I don't know, not eating is big.

Attachments

• IMG_20220810_172116528.jpg
    IMG_20220810_172116528.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20220810_172038741.jpg
    IMG_20220810_172038741.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 28
I am new here but have dealt with fly strike twice. I did thorough rinsing daily until each time no maggots came out. I applied poultry wound spray in addition to mixing lavender and frankincense oils with coconut oil and applying directly. The first time I dealt with it I didn’t use the spray-just oils. I know essential oils aren’t for everyone, but I’m my case they worked quite well😊

With a chicken who is not eating I would offer moistened chicken feed, then scrambled egg bits, canned cat or dog food, tuna, or salmon, or ground beef. Of course once she starts eating, switch back to chicken feed, and maybe an occasional treat of egg. Add water to any food right now to get more into her. Poultry NutriDrench 2 ml orally or other rescue remedy would be good now.
Have you used Oxbow brand Critical Care with chickens? I just used it with my rabbit that was recovering from surgery and she did well on it. Got her through the first couple days.

All thanks for the assistance. Unfortunately she passed tonight. At least no more suffering, I think that is one of the worst things I have seen in a pet. 💔 I have a feeling based on the smell that the infection was more severe than what could topically be addressed.

All thanks for the assistance. Unfortunately she passed tonight. At least no more suffering, I think that is one of the worst things I have seen in a pet. 💔 I have a feeling based on the smell that the infection was more severe than what could topically be addressed.
I’m so sorry😢

Oh no 😢 I am so sorry 😢 😞 💔 like you said at least she's not suffering 😔

Back
Top Bottom