Fly Strike (Graphic Pic)

oceansunset73

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2017
California
My 4 year old Rhode Island Red hen, Cookie, was struck with fly strike on Tuesday. :sick

I think I caught it before it got too bad. As soon as I saw she wasn't acting right I pulled her. There weren't many visible maggots. I gave her a warm bath and soaked her until the maggots floated to the top. I inspected her after but didn't see any more. I applied a generous amount of Hydrogen Peroxide (just this one time only) then coated the area with Neosporin after, and continued to check for any newly hatched maggots for the next couple of days. I havent seen any more since that first day. Since then, I have been spraying Vetericyn plus on the wound and giving her Nutri-Drench in her water for an extra vitamin boost.

She has been eating and drinking like normal, not lethargic, and still very alert. She is in the house in a "hospital" cage.

The area appears to now be scabbing over? It's almost black in color. Pic is attached. Am I doing everything correctly? Is she out of the critical stage? How soon can she go back out to be with her flock?

thumbnail_IMG_5152.jpg

Last edited:
I would continue to soak her vent area in warm Epsom salts or other solution of choice once a day. Chorhexidene or betadine is fine. Even a little dish soap and water. I would try to soften the black scab, and then apply the antibiotic ointment afterward. Is the scab under her vent, or did she have a prolapse? It is good that she is eating and drinking.

I would continue to soak her vent area in warm Epsom salts or other solution of choice once a day. Chorhexidene or betadine is fine. Even a little dish soap and water. I would try to soften the black scab, and then apply the antibiotic ointment afterward. Is the scab under her vent, or did she have a prolapse? It is good that she is eating and drinking.
I will definitely do that then, thank you so very much for the response. The hole, which is now scabbing, is just underneath her vent.

Back
Top Bottom