Fly Strike

PrincessTrudeia

Chirping
Jul 6, 2019
Vancouver Island
My poor pet hen has been going through so much lately. She had coccidiosis and was treated them she was attacked by a raccoon, both over a month ago and now I believe she has fly strike. The poor thing was nearly on death's doorstep 2 days ago. I thought it was coccidiosis again and was treating again. That's when I noticed all the worms all over her (maggots, I assume). Lots of Googling told me it was likely fly strike. So into the bath she went. She spent a good hour or so in there. She had a pocket of maggots under her skin, but we poured water on her and agitated the bath and got rid of them (likely not totally). This was two days ago. She's SO much better now, eating and drinking and dust bathing herself. We've been giving her electrolytes and piperazine dihydrochloride because we thought worms at first (as suggested by the farm supply because the vet is away and there's no other vet on the island for poultry).

Is piperazine dihydrochloride even helping? What's the best way to help her? I've read daily baths, but I don't know for how long. We were about to leave on holidays too, but I don't want her degrading while we are gone

Last edited:
Maggots will continue to hatch for a day or so, so it is good to repeat the soaks for a couple of days until you see none. Betadine or chlorhexidene can be added to the water for soaks. Remove any remaining maggots with tweezers using a magnifyer. Make sure that she is eating and drinking. Keep her away from flies and separated from other chickens. Here is a good article to read about flystrike:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

Maggots will continue to hatch for a day or so, so it is good to repeat the soaks for a couple of days until you see none. Betadine or chlorhexidene can be added to the water for soaks. Remove any remaining maggots with tweezers using a magnifyer. Make sure that she is eating and drinking. Keep her away from flies and separated from other chickens. Here is a good article to read about flystrike:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/
Ok that's to know. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom