Flying Chickens!

I am curious as to how you went about getting the hawk and owl out. Or, if you cannot say I understand.
Owl required me to cover it with my sweatshirt so I could restrain beak. They bite. Then bird under shirt penned between my legs as I held its feet. It kept trying to grab me with free foot. Then began process of cutting netting strands from entangled foot. Owl did not cooperate. Owl then released by simply pulling off sweater. Dogs now keep owl out of barn where they prone to get entangled. I should probably name my owls since we see them so much.

Coopers Hawk (adult male) a lot easier; easy enough for my 5-year old son at time to restrain as I cut netting with scissors. Be very careful not to damage toes.

I caught two hawks that year as shown in thread linked below. Changes made since to prevent subsequent captures.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coopers-hawk-working-barn-area-hard.1139715/

1612710957772.png

1612710996888.png

1612711028627.png

1612711045941.png

Owl required me to cover it with my sweatshirt so I could restrain beak. They bite. Then bird under shirt penned between my legs as I held its feet. It kept trying to grab me with free foot. Then began process of cutting netting strands from entangled foot. Owl did not cooperate. Owl then released by simply pulling off sweater. Dogs now keep owl out of barn where they prone to get entangled. I should probably name my owls since we see them so much.

Coopers Hawk (adult male) a lot easier; easy enough for my 5-year old son at time to restrain as I cut netting with scissors. Be very careful not to damage toes.

I caught two hawks that year as shown in thread linked below. Changes made since to prevent subsequent captures.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coopers-hawk-working-barn-area-hard.1139715/

View attachment 2520211

View attachment 2520213

View attachment 2520216

View attachment 2520218
Yes, the owl can really do some damage which I why I was curious how you got it freed. Kudos to you. I am not sure many people would have even tried to release it unharmed. I know they are protected but they can hurt you bad. Also, very beautiful but a little intimidating up close and personal.

Yes, the owl can really do some damage which I why I was curious how you got it freed. Kudos to you. I am not sure many people would have even tried to release it unharmed. I know they are protected but they can hurt you bad. Also, very beautiful but a little intimidating up close and personal.
I had prior experience with entangled owls, an owl with what appeared to be West Nile Disease, several hawks and a good many kestrels where I got confidence working around the birds. They are mostly bluff and far more scared than I. None can grab at you when they are restrained from behind.

I had prior experience with entangled owls, an owl with what appeared to be West Nile Disease, several hawks and a good many kestrels where I got confidence working around the birds. They are mostly bluff and far more scared than I.

Back
Top Bottom