Flying ducks

guest49834

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2017
I thought all ducks could fly.. apparently not according to my research. I have also found out, of all the ducks, the mallard is the best at flying. Which is true. I'm trying to inspire people there's more to poultry birds than "natural instincts" by teaching farm birds tricks (right now I'm working on my chicken) and I plan to teach my duck "Flight recall" but I'm not sure if my parents would be really happy if I got a wild duck instead of a domesticated breed. I would be happy to know what other kinds of ducks fly just as well as the mallard.
Thanks

You need a call duck!
20161017_172105.jpg
super cute compact little ducks and they can fly! The girls can be loud though if you have close neighbors. . there are all sorts of colors of them.

I'd be very interested in your flight recall findings for whatever breed you choose. I've got a male mallard and he's a terrific flier. Fortunately he can't stand to be away from his ladies and usually does a lap around the barn and heads back to the kiddie pool. We've got 2 Pekin and 1 Swedish blue, none of which are capable of flight (too heavy).

Muscovy, mallards and calls are all good flyers.
Here is a few of our muscovy

IMG_20131118_113359-1.jpg

Got to be careful with getting mallards if you want flyers. Around here 90% of the mallards are really rouens or rouen/mallard crosses.
There are what's called "flying mallards" and those fly just like wild mallards. We had a few but I ended up crossing them with regular domestic mallards to lessen their flying because they would hop up and fly about a mile down the road to the big creek.

They are grey calls not mallard calls.
Calls are calls color doesn't change what they are. All varieties of calls fly really well.

I mean, those are mallard calls... there are white call ducks too.View attachment 1089938
As it was explained to me . . mallard is a breed not a color. . the main color in a grey call drake is grew That's why the mallard coloration in calls is called grey. Actually my drake in that pic is blue fawn. And yes there are tons of colors of calls and they can/should all be able to fly.

Back
Top Bottom