Flying/Non Flying Chickens

2dream

Songster
12 Years
Jan 7, 2008
Jackson MS
My SIL has ask me to add to my order at Ideal. She is wanting a couple of pet bantum chickens. She keeps changing her mind on what she wants because she keeps reading conflicting info on the internet. She is looking for chickens that will not or can not fly much. I am thinking unless she is getting heavy meat birds all chickens will or can fly.
Anybody out there have any advice for her on which breeds of bantums are not very good at flying?

Frizzles have a hard time flying. My double frizzles cannot fly at all (They are ugly and its not recommended to breed them for this double gene). Silkies can fly but not as well as most birds. Besides theses two if the bird has normal feathers then it can fly like a normal chicken. Alot of your tophats won't fly by virtue of not being able to see up or where they are going.

Bubba

Silkies. And frizzles, I think.

Otherwise, if they've got straight flight feathers, they can fly. Yep, even if you clip their wings. It's just that some don't choose to fly much for whatever personal reasons they have. Mine fly like bloody eagles, even with a wing clipped.

Silkies can't fly!

My Bantam Brahma & Cochins don't fly unless it is to get over a snow!(& when they do it is not high at all) They very contently stay in an unclovered pen!

When I do let them out in yard they don't go far either!

Thanks everyone.
I will offer her 2 of my 4 week old blue silkies.
I also have cornish bantams shipping on the 26th of this month. Maybe 2 of those instead.
I have not canceled the original order of Sultan Bantams yet. If she totally decides against them I will just keep them myself.

Edited for spelling

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom