Flying Squirrels

stephys_fluffybutts

Songster
12 Years
Feb 6, 2007
chickensmackdown
So who is infested with flying squirrels?

They are living in the house. And they keep us up all night
barnie.gif

We caught a boy in the live trap last night. Named it Hermen LOL... So I am sure we have 100 in the walls..
After they stuff themsleves in the neihbors bird feeder then the little snots come to our house. Thats ll I hear all night. Pitter pattering of little feet and constand fighting from all the boys.

Last edited:
Make sure you close all entrances or exits they maybe using but one.. Place a live trap at the one entrance .. Keep setting it til you dont catch anything for a few days straight.. then seal up the last hole and there you go.. Any lil hole crack or lip will let them back in ... Hardwaer mesh around vents and soffits helps keep em out..

Pictures!

If they are feeding on your neighbors bird feeders, how about setting live traps with the same stuff?

I think they are more into eating bugs..not sure about seeds. We have had them and I just grab em and toss them out the window. They were coming in from the fireplace and we would hear them occassionally in the dark of night scurrying across a dresser! It creeps you our at first, but they are so cute! You also might have red squirrels living in the walls because we had a few of them and they would roll acorns across the ceilings randomly at night!

We've never had them in the house, but they can get downright pushy (will glide down, tap my shoulder on the way by, `stick' a landing on the closest tree and whistle) if the feeders/suet cakes are getting bare.
We have the slightly larger Southern Nocturnals. If I'm keeping on top of the Grey Squirrel population (they attack, kill, eat SNFS's pups in the nest), then their numbers explode the following year (lots of high pitched whistling all over the place). Snakes and Barred Owls are the only real `pressure' on these guys, in these woods.

The Barred Owl Vs. Flying Squirrel contests are a sight to see (the Flyers are brazen about the chances they take - and they avoid the talons more often than not).

babybarred2.jpg

FS2.jpg

I'd exterminate any of these guys that have access to wiring, etc. - they are too active, too curious and the incisors are too long to be tolerated anywhere near an opportunity to `short' you into the street.

ed:clarity

Last edited:
We dont have these in our neck of the woods...we just get the regular squirrels, they sure do love teasing our cat's. I saw one cat steal a baby from a ma ma, and the mom darn near beat up the cat..quite funny to watch.

No these are flying squirrels. So far we have caught about 7 of them lol.

So far we havnt had any problems with any other kind of animal... I think they drew the 'others' out and thats whats left. They are cute... but for the past week I can't stand them because they keep me up.
Next time I set the trap then I will take pix. They have some big eyes lol

We catch um in the live trap then set them free a few miles up the road.

But hurd a coyote pack a few nights back. We have one or 2 owls. Fox, an Eagle and a boat load of hawks. I wish they would come here and eat the rodents (and leave my chickens alone
wink.png
)

Back
Top Bottom