Flystrike - please help

I think? Light shines through. Because we weren't here, I don't know if that was there before the flies and is unrelated, or if its resulting from the flies.
To me, it looks like the coelomic cavity protruding. I would take great care cleaning that area. The vet may be able to stitch the opening, but the maggots need to be gone.
If you have wound spray, then I would spray that area, if not, then warm your triple antibiotic ointment between your fingers and apply a thin layer on that protrusion.

The other areas, you can apply a thicker layer of ointment.

I would not use pine tar for this application/treatment of wounds. Too sticky, the skin is already fragile and the application of tar is likely to damage it.
id probably try Stockholm tar, we use it for fly strik on horses but its also good for wounds . I just dont know what the welt/boil is but it may help with that as well?

I would agree with Wyorp Rock to not use pine tar in this case. Her skin is too fragile, and I would continue soaking her as you are if you find more maggots. The larvae can hatch out for about 24 hours after discovering them and starting treatment, according to others’ posts here. You probably are doing more than a vet could do. However they can prescribe antibiotics, and if needed, euthanize her. I would check all of your chickens vents for poop or any wounds, since that is how flystrike usually begins. Permethrin spray 0.5 % available at feed stores can last for 30 days if used in the coop to repel flies, but it can be harmful to beekeepers. I hope that you can save your hen. Another method to put them down is to cut the jugular veins on each side of the neck, and hold them still for about 2 minutes as they bleed out. It is a quick method as well.

Update - Thank you all so much for your help. Last night I could not find any more maggots and she was drinking water. This morning we bathed her again and only saw 2. We went to the vet who was extremely kind and helpful. He did recommend euthanasia, particularly because of her age and her low weight and the extent of the injuries. He said the injury on her side was a laceration, which must have occurred while we were gone, and was almost certainly what attracted the flies. I can't remember the term he used for the bubble thing below her vent, but I think its what one of you posted above - basically a hole in the abdomen that closed up - and that it was a result of flystrike. He said that if we ever see flystrike again to call and he will give us Capstar to give orally and to flush the wound with to get the maggots out. I am not sure how she got hurt, but with the yard so quiet for a week maybe a bold predator of some kind? I am really disappointed we couldn't save her but at least I know we gave it our best and I'm glad we finally got all the maggots off the poor thing. I will certainly be vigilant about checking for wounds, this was an awful thing to see. Thank you all again SO MUCH for your help.

To me, it looks like the coelomic cavity protruding. I would take great care cleaning that area. The vet may be able to stitch the opening, but the maggots need to be gone.
If you have wound spray, then I would spray that area, if not, then warm your triple antibiotic ointment between your fingers and apply a thin layer on that protrusion.

The other areas, you can apply a thicker layer of ointment.

I would not use pine tar for this application/treatment of wounds. Too sticky, the skin is already fragile and the application of tar is likely to damage it.
Thank you. Yes, you were right about what the "bubble" was. I was not familiar with the term, but that is what the vet said. I didn't end up trying pine tar.

Update - Thank you all so much for your help. Last night I could not find any more maggots and she was drinking water. This morning we bathed her again and only saw 2. We went to the vet who was extremely kind and helpful. He did recommend euthanasia, particularly because of her age and her low weight and the extent of the injuries. He said the injury on her side was a laceration, which must have occurred while we were gone, and was almost certainly what attracted the flies. I can't remember the term he used for the bubble thing below her vent, but I think its what one of you posted above - basically a hole in the abdomen that closed up - and that it was a result of flystrike. He said that if we ever see flystrike again to call and he will give us Capstar to give orally and to flush the wound with to get the maggots out. I am not sure how she got hurt, but with the yard so quiet for a week maybe a bold predator of some kind? I am really disappointed we couldn't save her but at least I know we gave it our best and I'm glad we finally got all the maggots off the poor thing. I will certainly be vigilant about checking for wounds, this was an awful thing to see. Thank you all again SO MUCH for your help.
I'm sorry about your hen :hugs

Thank you for giving an update, even if it's sad news.
You did all you could for her.

Back
Top Bottom