Flystrike - Questions about flock of 2 and isolation

Keep meaning to post a pic. My hen’s fly strike wound continues to heal. However I am 4 days into sour crop treatment with Monistat tabs and she’s loosing weight. She really refuses the meds and yogurt/egg (also tried meal worm enticement without success). She’s a champ outside though. Foraging, caught a cricket today, so happy. We are keeping the two hens separate but together - they are clearly interacting. Her friend cries for her when I take the sick girl in for the night.

I did order acidified copper sulfate and want to start that treatment as her crop is not improving. Hoping to get Friday. Fermenting her feed and offering a bit of yogurt. Her weight loss is concerning although her strength and slunk have returned.

Any other thoughts before the next treatment can start? Just continue with the miconazole until ACS arrives? Should I try and syringe feed her if she seems to be so active when outdoors?

I’ll post pics soon - thank you all!

Last edited:
The miconazole suppositories. She’s so not eating them. I did find a miconazole cream without polyethene glycol and she took a bit of that. Now I think she has vent gleet too.
I've always used cream, that way I can draw it up into a syringe and direct dose if they won't take a bit:)

Oh No! Vent Gleet?
Can you get some photos?
Vent Gleet can accompany sour crop, so hopefully the yeast medication will help with that.

And now I don’t know. I saw a white discharge two days ago, and I have a poop pic. But tonight I came home and no white discharge. She takes the miconazole when I mix it. I guess I need to learn how to give it in a syringe. Just hoping that ACS gets here! She is acting better - a bit more interested in eating. Just not sure what to do with that wound - it’s healing and I’m continuing treatment. Anyone use a wound covering spray on something this large?

Attachments

• AA2544D3-144C-42B1-A109-41DD262A9E3D.jpeg
    AA2544D3-144C-42B1-A109-41DD262A9E3D.jpeg
    827.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 93A821DF-E5E5-4D93-9C7D-280BE87CDBEB.jpeg
    93A821DF-E5E5-4D93-9C7D-280BE87CDBEB.jpeg
    575.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 6DA4C827-DD96-42E4-B783-5C1A79E4A78D.jpeg
    6DA4C827-DD96-42E4-B783-5C1A79E4A78D.jpeg
    456.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 3F674D1F-AB24-45CF-B73A-39420B043881.jpeg
    3F674D1F-AB24-45CF-B73A-39420B043881.jpeg
    550.2 KB · Views: 3
And now I don’t know. I saw a white discharge two days ago, and I have a poop pic. But tonight I came home and no white discharge. She takes the miconazole when I mix it. I guess I need to learn how to give it in a syringe. Just hoping that ACS gets here! She is acting better - a bit more interested in eating. Just not sure what to do with that wound - it’s healing and I’m continuing treatment. Anyone use a wound covering spray on something this large?
Never knew your girl has spurs! 🤣

Her wound is healing! You are doing a great job! And yes, I have seen people (on BYC) use neosporin on large wounds as well. Most people describe it as "slathering" it on. I am guessing that it keeps the wound moist, but @Wyorp Rock should know what to do with her. She seems to be recovering well though! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom