Flystrike WITH IMPACTED CROP

TwistedTayy

Songster
Apr 30, 2021
Douglasville, GA
I posted this to the chickens vet corner group on Facebook but have failed to get insight in what could be a timely fashion (14h). At the end I have updated with her condition this morning.

Flystrike

ANY help appreciated. I have been having the worst luck with my birds lately.

This hen was in a particular coop that has had issues with vent gleet. Yesterday she had no indication of anything being wrong with her but admittedly I did not check her as closely as I should have. I feel horrible.

I brought her inside immediately and put her in a warm epsom sink bath. My friend suggested a dawn bath so I put her in one of those as well. I only found one maggot after this (god only knows how many came off in the bath though). I carefully picked the maggot off and irrigated the cavity with Colloidal silver wound spray (closest thing at hand). I then dried her off and put her in a crate with a heating pad, scrambled eggs, water with papaya powder, royal jelly, and poultry cell, and regular food.

8AF1C479-4409-4F5B-A31D-D121794460E2.jpeg

I want to know if there is any hope for her. I can do injections (I have LA-200) but I have no experience suturing. There is no vet available in our area on short notice (1 week wait) but I am willing to do whatever it takes (including HE if it comes to that). She is able to remain in the house. The wound is right below her vent and she has pooped in it since the bath. Should I loosely wrap with gauze?

16543BA8-BBF0-4A1B-9A9F-0C285C3362F6.jpeg

Is there anything I should do for her flock mates? I have a broody in that coop that is due to hatch babies in less than a week. I was planning on removing most babies from her anyways but broodiness puts a lot of stress on their systems. Should I treat them with medi-statin? They have all been getting probiotics to help them fight the gleet (or in preparation for stronger treatments if it came to that).

4803811C-5E78-42C3-92CD-518B1567A809.jpeg

This girl is about 8 months old and is a 55 flowery (descended from leghorns so her comb is normal floppy but not that color).

A short while after writing and submitting this I went and checked on the other chickens in that coop. The one that I had been keeping an eye on longest (first to show symptoms) had it the worst and the other hens were 100% fine. Ive attached photos of her too (the black hen below). Im going to separate her in the quarantine coop (in my carport) after bathing her and start treating her with medi-statin. She also has (what I believe to be) thrush on her face which is what I saw first (treated with canestan) and caused me to check the vents of the birds (5 days ago). This hen had VERY minor vent gleet and another had even less and the hen with the flystrike had none. The whole coop has been on probiotics for the gleet but also in case I needed to put them on antibiotics for respiratory symptoms I had been dealing with in other coops. The black hen was kind enough to poop directly in the sink so I grabbed a picture of it.

379A93B9-463C-497C-BE08-33DDAB3455E0.jpeg

90C05109-988D-44E8-B46F-2A02E97076E8.jpeg

8A9FBFB6-EBE0-46B7-9A34-21F6811BD635.jpeg

UPDATE:
She is doing well this morning. Bright and active (considering her condition but not her normal self). I gave her another Dawn bath last night before bed. Last night, her crop was HUGE and imo very compacted but it could just be impacted. She was eating rather vigorously last night. I oral dosed her with 0.5cc ducosate sodium (one 50mg pill) and 0.25cc red cell (to help with any anemia. I gave her liquimycin IM yesterday to prophylactically treat infection. The crop has emptied some (like I said it was much larger than a normal full crop) but is by no means even close to being empty and is still hard. The flystrike wound looks much better. Swelling has gone down and is not enflamed. Should I turn my attention to the crop now? Withhold food? Continue stool softener? (if so at what dose?)I also have acidified copper sulphate. Im out of coconut oil but I have olive oil.

Keep flushing and soaking the wound and cleaning out the maggots. Keep the tissue moist with ointment. In between soaks if the wound gets soiled, spraying with a solution of diluted Chlorhexidine may be helpful.
No stitching, no wrapping - you'd just be trapping in bacteria.

Vent Gleet is usually a yeast or fungal infection. Antibiotics can exacerbate the issue.

I let my birds eat when they have crop issues. Offer free choice water and easy to process feed, cut out any scratch grains, etc. until you the problem is resolved.

Since you are having multiple issues going on, it would be a good idea to seek vet care if possible.

Here's some reading for you.

Crop Treatment https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Flystrike https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

Vent Gleet https://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment-html/

Keep flushing and soaking the wound and cleaning out the maggots. Keep the tissue moist with ointment. In between soaks if the wound gets soiled, spraying with a solution of diluted Chlorhexidine may be helpful.
No stitching, no wrapping - you'd just be trapping in bacteria.

Vent Gleet is usually a yeast or fungal infection. Antibiotics can exacerbate the issue.

I let my birds eat when they have crop issues. Offer free choice water and easy to process feed, cut out any scratch grains, etc. until you the problem is resolved.

Since you are having multiple issues going on, it would be a good idea to seek vet care if possible.

Here's some reading for you.

Crop Treatment https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Flystrike https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

Vent Gleet https://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment-html/
Thank you for your response. I know that but I weighed in favor of preventing infection from the flystrike.

Unfortunately as I said, vet care simply isn't an option. If it was I definitely would have done it. As it stands, by the time I can get into a vet, she will either already have succumbed or be well on her way to recovery.

Ive been treating her impacted crop as that's basically all I can do. I removed her food but I have been cooking her scrambled eggs (with grit and herbs). Her crop has gone down by about 50% since I posted this morning and is malleable (but doughy). Her poops are still watery but a much better ratio of solids. Her run consists of LARGE wood chips and the coop is hemp, so my guess is hemp is what I'm feeling (like straw or hay but she had access to neither).

Attached is a new pic of her wound. It has been treated with royal jelly and has swat ointment away from the actual wound. There is some black tissue around the edges but I feel like that's within normal range for this stage.
310809500_850751439639370_2546852152625966819_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom