Foamy eye and swallen

Update! Treated him amoxicillin and he is WAY much better. Took him out of quarantine today šŸ˜ I don't have pictures but his eye is open and not discharging. Thanks for the help. I will definitely orden amoxicillin or tylan to have it hand in case anybody else becomes sick.

Ok everyone, I need help. They keep getting sick. Today I found another bird, this is 4 birds now that have gotten the samething. What causes this disease? I don't know what to do. I'm separating as soon as I see it. I can treat with medicine but I need to stop this from happening or I will go broke buying medicine for all of them. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20220610_100333796.jpg
    IMG_20220610_100333796.jpg
    557.6 KB · Views: 2
Ok everyone, I need help. They keep getting sick. Today I found another bird, this is 4 birds now that have gotten the samething. What causes this disease? I don't know what to do. I'm separating as soon as I see it. I can treat with medicine but I need to stop this from happening or I will go broke buying medicine for all of them. Thanks!

For you, I think you are now under a general flock maintenance category, rather than a disease, injury, and cure. Because the advice you really may need is how can you do the best thing for your chickens and your flock.

But to answer this, it may require asking about your flock, how many chickens you have, their ages, what you feed, have any new chickens been brought in, have you lost any to illnesses, do you deworm, etc.

For my flock, I have come to be able to just ignore foamy eyes and even mucous dripping eyes in adult roosters. It is a rare occurance that flares up moatly when the weather gets cold and rainy, even then it only happens in roosters.

Its hard to tell from the photo, but is that just a foamy eye? It doesnt look swollen. The way I treat without use of antibiotics, I summed up earlier.

Day 1 - deworm
Day 2,3 - observe
Day 4 - only if symptoms worsen, antibiotics
Day 5,6 - discontinue antibiotics

The way I have come to have such a healthy flock is by increasing the number of watering stations to have a lot and keep them clean every day, and also by offering even better feed options. The healthier they started eating after changing food, the less sicknesses happened. So these are general long term flock issues that take time. Sorry for the long post, I just have never had success with using antibiotics to prevent illnesses.

As for the specific illness, it probably is MG which never goes away, but as I have done in my flock it is preventable from causing them harm. It can and will spread to all your chickens, even if you never see symptoms in them. Hope this is somewhat accurate and helpful. Living with MG in the flock is extensively discussed on BYC.

If it isnt MG you could consider a whole flock antibiotic treatment but why would be my concern.

For you, I think you are now under a general flock maintenance category, rather than a disease, injury, and cure. Because the advice you really may need is how can you do the best thing for your chickens and your flock.

But to answer this, it may require asking about your flock, how many chickens you have, their ages, what you feed, have any new chickens been brought in, have you lost any to illnesses, do you deworm, etc.

For my flock, I have come to be able to just ignore foamy eyes and even mucous dripping eyes in adult roosters. It is a rare occurance that flares up moatly when the weather gets cold and rainy, even then it only happens in roosters.

Its hard to tell from the photo, but is that just a foamy eye? It doesnt look swollen. The way I treat without use of antibiotics, I summed up earlier.

Day 1 - deworm
Day 2,3 - observe
Day 4 - only if symptoms worsen, antibiotics
Day 5,6 - discontinue antibiotics

The way I have come to have such a healthy flock is by increasing the number of watering stations to have a lot and keep them clean every day, and also by offering even better feed options. The healthier they started eating after changing food, the less sicknesses happened. So these are general long term flock issues that take time. Sorry for the long post, I just have never had success with using antibiotics to prevent illnesses.

As for the specific illness, it probably is MG which never goes away, but as I have done in my flock it is preventable from causing them harm. It can and will spread to all your chickens, even if you never see symptoms in them. Hope this is somewhat accurate and helpful. Living with MG in the flock is extensively discussed on BYC.

If it isnt MG you could consider a whole flock antibiotic treatment but why would be my concern.
It totally agree with the feeding and water being one of the issues.I don't consume a lot to feed them scraps and leftovers as extra nutrition from the layers feed, but I can work on providing them extra nutrition, means more money, but I can work it out. Also every once in a while I offer poultry cell vitamins to boost their immune system. But another factor is the weather. We live in central Florida and it is starting to be very humid with showers every minute. Bacteria and diseases spread easy with the increase of the mosquitos and flies around the coop.
I don't use antibiotics for prevention, only if they are sick. Thanks for the post and advice.

Since the symptoms look like mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) you may want to read some articles about it. The symptoms come about after being exposed to a carrier. Once one has it, they are carriers for life. So the whole flock should be considered as carriers, and the flock should be closed to new birds or birds leaving the flock. Here is a good article to learn about MG, the same one I posted earlier:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/publications/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Back
Top Bottom